Vagisha Kaushik|Dec 2, 2021
IIM CAT Exam 2021: 5 tips to score 99+ percentile in first attempt
CAT 2021 is on November 28. Check here some of the quintessential tips recommended by toppers and experts to ace the CAT with a good score on the first attempt.
NEW DELHI: Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad will be conducting CAT 2021 in computer-based mode on November 28. The candidates who have applied for the CAT 2021 MBA entrance test now have around two months for its preparation. To crack the CAT exam 2021 in the first attempt, candidates must prepare a clear-cut timetable, have clarity of the basic concepts, keep taking CAT mocks, make quick and handy notes for quick revision and ensure that all the CAT important topics have been covered. A well-planned CAT preparation plan can surely help the candidates in acing CAT 2021 in the first attempt with the 99+ percentile.
Latest CAT exam updates: Catch the live CAT admit card 2021 updates and get CAT admit card download link.
CAT 2021 - Important Dates
CAT 2021 admit card releases on
October 27, 2021
CAT admit card release time
CAT 2021 exam date
November 28, 2021, Sunday
CAT exam pattern 2021
According to media reports, CAT 2021 convener MP Ram Mohan has said that this year’s CAT exam pattern is likely to see some changes. The total number of questions in all three sections of the CAT exam may be reduced. According to CAT experts, only 3 to 4 questions per section are expected to be reduced.
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
Total number of questions: 76 (Expected to be 64 to 66 questions)
Total marks: 228 (Total marks will vary based on reduced questions)
Know the expected CAT 2021 exam pattern here.
5 tips to attain a good score in CAT 2021
1. Start CAT exam preparation as early as possible
- Early CAT preparation gives plenty of time for the candidates to cover the CAT 2021 entrance test syllabus. Thus, they would not panic about not having enough time in the last minutes. Candidates who aspire to ace the CAT 2021 exam in the first go are advised to begin preparation as early as possible.
2. Strengthen your fundamentals and concepts
- When preparing for CAT 2021, it is wise to begin learning the basic concepts and then the more difficult ones. Having a better understanding of basic concepts and theories will help you to solve complex ones easily. As for the preparation of the comprehension check, the same pattern of easy to hard makes the candidates better prepared. Start from reading simply written books to the more complex texts; from the simple questions to the complicated questions.
3. Familiarize the CAT syllabus thoroughly
- One of the key strategies to ace the CAT 2021 in the first attempt is to prepare the syllabus of CAT very well. IIM Ahmedabad, the conducting body, does not specify any particular syllabus for the CAT 2021. However, the CAT important topics can be listed based on previous years’ question papers.
4. Create a section-wise preparation strategy for CAT 2021
- As sectional cut-off applies in the CAT exam, candidates must focus on acing every section of this MBA entrance.
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC): Broadly, this section includes questions from Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary, and Verbal Reasoning. While preparing this section, candidates are advised to keep reading newspapers and novels to prepare for the comprehension part. Candidates can also rely on good books for the preparation of vocabulary and grammar. Practicing a lot of questions of both aspects is highly effective for preparation.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR): This section consists of questions based on Line charts, Pie charts, Bar charts, and Mixed charts and assesses the analytical skills and logical rationale or reasoning of candidates. For the best CAT exam 2021 preparation of this section, one needs to develop a clear understanding of the basic concepts. Candidates must practice the sample questions paper of this section to get a grasp of the concepts.
- Quantitative Aptitude (QA): This section is one that demands rigorous practice and preparation. This section has questions related to mathematics. Candidates must have command over the formulas, theorems, and concepts like algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and mensuration that are often asked in this section. Candidates must be calculative to get higher marks in this section.
5. Manage the time well
- Candidates who look forward to cracking the CAT entrance test in the first attempt must plan how to use the time in their hands effectively. In these two months, candidates must focus on revising the topics prepared earlier and take plenty of CAT mock tests having varied difficulty levels. The candidates must take at least three to four mock tests per week and analyze them well.
Check out 5 tips to ace other MBA entrance exams
- XAT 2022: 5 tips by toppers to ace this MBA entrance test
- NMAT 2021: 5 tips to score above 240 in the first attempt
To get in touch, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.