Shivam Jadoun|Nov 29, 2022
CBSE Class 12 mathematics syllabus 2022-23 has 6 units; check complete syllabus
CBSE Class 12 board exam 2022 mathematics paper will be held for 80 marks. The board will release 12th datesheet soon at cbse.gov.in.
NEW DELHI: For the Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE) Class 12 board exams 2022, the mathematics syllabus will cover six units – relations and functions, algebra, calculus, vectors and three-dimensional geometry, linear programming, and probability. CBSE will release the Class 12 datesheet soon on the official website – cbse.gov.in.
Recommended: Start your JEE Main Preparation with AI Coach Study Modules & Unlimited Mock Tests. Join Now!
Recommended: CBSE 12th Sample papers. Free Download
Don't Miss: CBSE Toppers' Preparation Tips to Score 99+ in Boards, Check Now
CBSE Class 12 mathematics marking scheme
Relations and functions
Vectors and three-dimensional geometry
The weightage for the CBSE Class 12 mathematics exam will be 80 marks. Besides, a 20 marks internal assessment will be conducted.
CBSE Term 2 Mathematics Syllabus: Chapters
Unit 1: Relations and functions
- Relations and functions - Types of relations: reflexive, symmetric, transitive and equivalence relations. One to one and onto functions
- Inverse trigonometric functions - Definition, range, domain, principal value branch. Graphs of inverse trigonometric functions.
Unit 2: Algebra
- Matrices - Concept, notation, order, equality, types of matrices, zero and identity matrix, transpose of a matrix, symmetric and skew symmetric matrices. Operation on matrices: Addition and multiplication and multiplication with a scalar. Simple properties of addition, multiplication and scalar multiplication. Oncommutativity of multiplication of matrices and existence of non-zero matrices whose product is the zero matrix (restrict to square matrices of order 2). Invertible matrices and proof of the uniqueness of inverse, if it exists; (Here all matrices will have real entries).
- Determinants - Determinant of a square matrix (up to 3 x 3 matrices), minors, co-factors and applications of determinants in finding the area of a triangle. Adjoint and inverse of a square matrix. Consistency, inconsistency and number of solutions of system of linear equations by examples, solving system of linear equations in two or three variables (having unique solution) using inverse of a matrix.
Unit 3: Calculus
- Continuity and differentiability - Continuity and differentiability, chain rule, derivative of inverse trigonometric functions,𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 sin−1 𝑥 , cos−1 𝑥 and tan−1 𝑥, derivative of implicit functions. Concept of exponential and logarithmic functions. Derivatives of logarithmic and exponential functions. Logarithmic differentiation, derivative of functions expressed in parametric forms. Second order derivatives.
- Applications of derivatives - Applications of derivatives: rate of change of bodies, increasing/decreasing functions, maxima and minima (first derivative test motivated geometrically and second derivative test given as a provable tool). Simple problems (that illustrate basic principles and understanding of the subject as well as reallife situations).
- Integrals - Integration as inverse process of differentiation. Integration of a variety of functions by substitution, by partial fractions and by parts, Evaluation of simple integrals of the following types and problems based on them.
- Applications of integrals - Applications in finding the area under simple curves, especially lines, circles/ parabolas/ellipses (in standard form only)
- Differential equations - Definition, order and degree, general and particular solutions of a differential equation. Solution of differential equations by method of separation of variables, solutions of homogeneous differential equations of first order and first degree.
Unit 4: Vectors and three-dimensional geometry
- Vectors - Vectors and scalars, magnitude and direction of a vector. Direction cosines and direction ratios of a vector. Types of vectors (equal, unit, zero, parallel and collinear vectors), position vector of a point, negative of a vector, components of a vector, addition of vectors, multiplication of a vector by a scalar, position vector of a point dividing a line segment in a given ratio. Definition, Geometrical Interpretation, properties and application of scalar (dot) product of vectors, vector (cross) product of vectors
- Three-dimensional geometry - Direction cosines and direction ratios of a line joining two points. Cartesian equation and vector equation of a line, skew lines, shortest distance between two lines. Angle between two lines.
Unit 5: Linear programming
- Linear programming - Introduction, related terminology such as constraints, objective function, optimization, graphical method of solution for problems in two variables, feasible and infeasible regions (bounded or unbounded), feasible and infeasible solutions, optimal feasible solutions (up to three non-trivial constraints).
Unit 6: Probability
- Probability - Conditional probability, multiplication theorem on probability, independent events, total probability, Bayes’ theorem, Random variable and its probability distribution, mean of random variable.
To get in touch, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.