NEET 2026: Supreme Court clarifies states to close or withdraw FIRs against student protestors
Press Trust of India | August 3, 2026 | 02:27 PM IST | 1 min read
A bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana made it clear that the expression "criminal antecedents" referred only to grave and heinous offences
Predict your MBBS, BDS & AYUSH admission chances with the NEET College Predictor. Get personalized college recommendations based on rank, category & quota.
Try NowNEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Monday clarified that the governments of Delhi and other states can close or withdraw FIRs against students who participated in protests against the NEET paper leak, provided they do not have antecedents involving grave and heinous offences. A bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana also made it clear that the expression "criminal antecedents" referred only to grave and heinous offences.
At the outset, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the top court that the Union government was serious in its commitment not to pursue FIRs against protesting students except those with criminal antecedents. Mehta said that FIRs against over 2,700 people with antecedents involving grave and heinous offences would not be withdrawn.
During the hearing, senior advocate Gopal Sankaranarayanan submitted that even lawyers' children were beaten during the protests.
NEET protests
"The videos are very shocking. We have given 300 videos to the court. Since directions have come from the top, the commissioner of police must look at all this. "Ideally, we have identified un-uniformed individuals committing such police excess. A direction has to go to the Commissioner of police and the RAF director as to why police used pellet guns etc," he said.
The matter is now listed for hearing on August 18. The apex court had earlier said police excesses or a 'lathi charge' cannot be justified merely because there is an agitation and underlined that the right to peaceful protest was "absolutely guaranteed".
The CJP-led march on July 20 in Delhi saw clashes between protesters and security personnel, who used lathis and teargas shells to disperse crowds attempting to move towards Parliament.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Paper-leak bill won’t help, argue opposition MPs; Priyanka Gandhi questions Pralhad Joshi’s appointment
Opposition MPs argued that the anti paper-leak bill 2026 won’t prevent future leaks. On PM Modi’s handling of CJP protest, Gandhi said, ‘change angle of the heart, not camera’
Shradha Chettri | 1 min readFeatured News
]- ‘No one feels secure’: Jadavpur University ABVP ‘raid’ leaves students scarred, questioning security collapse
- Tagore in the morning, Shakespeare at noon: My Bengali-medium schooling doesn’t hamper my English-medium job
- ‘Ready for arrest’: CJP’s Ashutosh Ranka on ‘School Thik Karo’ drive, says judiciary, ECI accountability next
- Delhi Private Universities Bill: New regulator, zero standards, minister as visitor; why teachers are wary
- ‘Chowkidar-cum-Gatekeeper’: Why Visva-Bharati’s biotech head won’t enforce order for monthly workload reports
- IIT Placements 2026: Many in BTech Computer Science aim for trading firms, not Google; internships show why
- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report