JNU fee hike: Relief to students as HC allows registration at old rates

JNU fee hike: Relief to students as HC allows registration at old rates
JNU students protesting in front of the main gate Team Careers360 | Jan 24, 2020 - 7:25 p.m. IST
Share Via

NEW DELHI: The Delhi High Court on Friday, January 24, gave an interim order allowing Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) students who have not registered for the new academic year to do so according to older rates.

The JNU Students Union (JNUSU) President Aishe Ghosh and other office bearers had filed a plea in the Delhi High Court against the new draft hostel manual, introduced on October 28 last year. The new manual had hiked the room rent and also introduced utility and service charges for the first time.

The court remarked that since 90 per cent of the students had registered, “the remaining 10 percent students are concerned, they need to register within one week as per the old manual. No late fee will be charged from them”, The Hindu reported.

The court asked the JNU administration to reply to the plea filed by JNUSU members within two weeks. The court also asked the administration to extend the deadline for registration by a week without charging any late fee.

‘Illegally approved’

The petition had sought to revoke the new manual "illegally approved” by the Inter Hall Administration which was in charge of drafting the manual. The student’s body argued that the manual was against certain provisions of the JNU Act,1966, one of which required the presence of JNUSU members on the IHA committee.

The hostel room rent was hiked from Rs 10 for single rooms and Rs 20 for double rooms to Rs 300 and Rs 600 respectively. Students below the poverty line (BPL) were allowed a 50% concession. For utility charges, BPL students have to pay Rs 500 while the rest have to pay Rs 1000.

The JNUSU has been protesting for nearly three months against the new draft hostel manual.

Write to us at news@careers360.com.

Stay updated with latest Education News
Back to top