Kerala NEET Row: HC defers hearing on PIL for standard exam protocol across India
Press Trust of India | July 30, 2022 | 08:34 AM IST | 2 mins read
NEET 2022: The plea sought free counselling for the affected students as well as compensation for the "trauma" and "mental agony" suffered by them.
Download the NEET 2026 Free Mock Test PDF with detailed solutions. Practice real exam-style questions, analyze your performance, and enhance your preparation.
Download EBookKochi: The Kerala High Court on Friday deferred the hearing to next week on a plea seeking a standard protocol for conducting examinations across the country in view of a recent incident at a NEET exam centre in the state where female candidates were made to remove part of their undergarments to appear for the test.
A division Bench of the High Court deferred the hearing in the matter to the first week of August. Besides formulation of a standard protocol for exams across India, the public interest litigation also seeks a direction to the National Testing Agency (NTA) to permit the affected female candidates to re-appear for the exam as they might not have been able to focus on the test that day in view of the "traumatic" situation.
Also read | CUET UG 2022 admit card for phase 2 tomorrow; sample paper PDF download
The plea has also sought free counselling for the affected students as well as compensation for the "trauma" and "mental agony" suffered by them. Seven persons were arrested in connection with the incident on July 17 after a parent of one of the affected candidates lodged a complaint with the police.
Of the seven arrested, five were women and two were men of whom one was a NEET (National Entrance-cum-Eligibility Test) observer and the other an exam coordinator. Three of the arrested women worked for an agency hired by the NTA and the remaining were employed by the private educational institute at Ayur, where the incident took place. All seven were released on bail by a lower court last week.
Meanwhile, the NTA has formed a fact-finding committee to visit Kollam. The PIL has contended that this is not the first time such an incident has happened in the name of exams and the reason was the lack of a common protocol or system to conduct exams. The plea has also claimed that physical or body searches just before the exams affects the student's memory retention.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%