Govt allocates Rs 1037.90 crore to New India Literacy Programme for next 5 years: MoE
Anu Parthiban | December 13, 2022 | 09:25 AM IST | 2 mins read
New India Literacy Programme aims to cover a target of 5 crore learners during the five years under the Foundational Literacy and Numeracy component.
NEW DELHI: The Government has allocated a total financial outlay of Rs 1037.90 crore for the five year New India Literacy Programme (NILP). The centrally sponsored scheme for implementation during five years from 2022-23 to 2026-27 was announced in February this year.
The programme aims to cover a target of 5 crore learners during the five years under the Foundational Literacy and Numeracy component.
“The total financial outlay of NILP for five years (FYs 2022-23 to 2026-27) is Rs 1037.90 crore, out of which Rs 700 crore is Central share and Rs 337.90 crore is state share. The Central and state shares are in the ratio of 60:40 for all states other than North Eastern Region (NER) and Himalayan states where the sharing pattern between the Centre and the State is in the ratio of 90:10,”minister of state for education, Annpurna Devi in a written reply in the Lok Sabha said.
The major challenge faced by the Government while implementing the NILP scheme presently is the opening and mapping of all bank accounts of Single Nodal Agencies (SNAs) and Implementing Agencies (IAs) in all states with Public Financial Management System (PFMS), the education ministry said.
The fund flow will be done through PFMS and state treasuries. Therefore, it is a prerequisite for release of funds as per revised procedure guidelines of the finance ministry. The challenge exists because this is the first year of implementation, Annpurna Devi said.
The ministry said that all states and UTs have been sensitized through communication dated March 11, 2022, alongwith a roadmap for implementation of the programme. As the NILP has commenced from the current financial year 2022-23, therefore, the funds allocated or utilized for the said programme during the last three years are not applicable, it said.
More than RS 208 crore (Rs 208.96,42,893) has been allocated to states and UTs for New India Literacy Programme during the current year, 2022-23.
While announcing the scheme, the ministry said that it aims to educate non-literates above the age of 15 years with foundational literacy, numeracy, critical life skills to provide continuing education opportunities. The term “adult education” was replaced with “education for all” by the ministry in February as the former does not include all above age 15.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- Jadavpur University pro-VC: Faculty, new curriculum keep its BTech ‘globally relevant’ despite fund crunch
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director