IIT Bombay Student Death: Nationwide candle march today seeking justice for Darshan Solanki
Mridusmita Deka | February 19, 2023 | 01:23 PM IST | 2 mins read
#JusticeForDarshanSolanki: Expressing full support for nationwide candle march, APPSC appealed to student community to participate in call.
NEW DELHI: After the 18-year-old student of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Darshan Solanki, allegedly dying by suicide on February 12, the students of the institute have called for a nationwide candle march seeking justice for him today, February 20. Expressing full support for the nationwide candle march, the Ambedkar Periyar Phule Study Circle (APPSC) appealed to the student community across the country to participate in this call. The candle march is slated to be held between 7 pm and 9 pm.
APPSC in a social media post said: “Let Us Be United to Ensure Justice for Darshan. We fully support the call for a nation wide candle march on 19th February given by Darshan’s family to ensure justice is made in this case.”
Also Read | IIT Bombay changing UG curriculum to reduce stress; director shares updates on student death case
The study circle further added: “We appeal to the student community everywhere in the country to participate in this call by conducting candle marches on their respective campuses. Let us all have an open dialogue about discrimination on campuses. Let us all make our campuses more inclusive and democratic. Let us be united to ensure justice for Darshan.”
Let Us Be United to Ensure Justice for Darshan
— APPSC IIT Bombay (@AppscIITb) February 18, 2023
We fully support the call for a nation wide candle march on 19th February given by Darshan’s family to ensure justice is made in this case. We appeal to the student community everywhere in the country to participate in this call pic.twitter.com/xcEY20Xt7B
Also Read | Over 13,000 students died by suicide last year: NCRB Report 2021
The APPSC termed the death of the IIT Bombay BTech student an " institutional murder " and demanded the institute investigate the death of the BTech student and a report in the public domain.
Also Read | Caste and the IITs: What ‘quota students’ experience on campus
The institute has formed a panel to conduct a “parallel” probe into the death of a first-year BTech student amid allegations of caste bias and has urged its students to come forward if they have “relevant” information.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Quick Watch
]Next Story
]Featured News
]- ‘No one feels secure’: Jadavpur University ABVP ‘raid’ leaves students scarred, questioning security collapse
- Tagore in the morning, Shakespeare at noon: My Bengali-medium schooling doesn’t hamper my English-medium job
- ‘Ready for arrest’: CJP’s Ashutosh Ranka on ‘School Thik Karo’ drive, says judiciary, ECI accountability next
- Delhi Private Universities Bill: New regulator, zero standards, minister as visitor; why teachers are wary
- ‘Chowkidar-cum-Gatekeeper’: Why Visva-Bharati’s biotech head won’t enforce order for monthly workload reports
- IIT Placements 2026: Many in BTech Computer Science aim for trading firms, not Google; internships show why
- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report