Trusted Source Image

Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, TDPL exams; forms panel to reform recruitment process

Ruchika Kumari | August 18, 2026 | 07:49 AM IST | 3 mins read

Jharkhand cancels JSSC-CGL and TDPL recruitment exams since 2014 amid protests, but job aspirants continue demanding a CBI probe.

Jharkhand: Protesters continue demand for CBI probe (Image: PTI)
Jharkhand: Protesters continue demand for CBI probe (Image: PTI)

The Jharkhand government on August 17 announced the cancellation of Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014. The decision comes in mid of protest by job aspirants over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

The decision to announce cancellation was taken in a marathon cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren at the state secretariat.

Reform committee

The CM also announced formation of an examination reforms committee which will be headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal. The committee will recommend measures to strengthen and improve the state's recruitment examination system.

"The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) and the results published by it," Soren told PTI after the meeting.

Also read ‘Students’ future met with police force’: ABVP condemns lathi-charge during JPSC, JSSC protests in Jharkhand

The announcement came as six protesters continued their hunger strike and a government panel prepared for another round of talks with the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has been leading the agitation.

Students celebrated the cancellation decision by waving the Tricolour. However, the move failed to end the protest, as the agitators maintained that their demand for a CBI probe into the alleged examination irregularities had not been accepted. The Manch said it would continue its agitation until the government agreed to a CBI investigation.

The developments came ahead of the proposed seventh round of talks between the government and the protesters. A student delegation comprising Manch leaders Ravindra Paswan, Piyush Kumar Singh and Ravindra Kumar Ravi was scheduled to meet the government panel.

The talks, initially scheduled to begin at 2 pm, were delayed as Soren held discussions with his ministers.

Also read Under 25% of candidates selected via NTA NET join NFSC; panel pulls up govt for coaching scheme’s poor show

Hunger strike

The agitation has continued for more than three weeks, with six aspirants remaining on hunger strike. Rahul Kranti, one of the protesters undergoing treatment at Sadar Hospital, said the agitation would continue until the government accepted the demand for a CBI probe.

Another hunger striker, Umme Habiba, said the government's decision to hold another round of talks reflected its sensitivity towards the students' concerns.

Soren said the government was concerned about the agitation and had already enacted the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act, which would be strictly implemented.

"Several surprising factors emerged during the probe into exam irregularities by the CID and special investigation team. These cannot be disclosed at this juncture," Soren said, adding that several companies operating in Jharkhand appeared to be involved in a "huge exam racket".

The protesters had announced plans to gherao the chief minister's residence on August 20 and appealed to students from across the state to gather in Ranchi. They had also demanded Soren's resignation, accusing the ruling JMM-Congress alliance of failing to take concrete action on their demands.

Also read JPSC postponed July 25 state civil services mains exam over alleged irregularities; five held

Counter-protest

Meanwhile, the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination triggered a counter-protest by candidates who had cleared the exam and secured government jobs. A group of successful candidates gathered outside the state secretariat and appealed to Soren to revoke the cancellation, claiming that the decision could leave around 2,000 people jobless.

The Opposition BJP backed the protesters' demand for a CBI probe. Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi urged Soren to accept the students' demands and questioned why the government should oppose a CBI investigation if it was confident about the recruitment process.

Marandi said continued inaction by the government could push more young people and students onto the streets and extended moral support to the proposed August 20 demonstration.

With the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and the recruitment tests conducted by TDPL, the government has accepted one of the agitation's key demands. It has also said it plans to overhaul the examination system through the newly formed reforms committee and stricter implementation of the anti-unfair-means law.

Meanwhile, the CID continued its raids to apprehend those allegedly involved in examination irregularities. "We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations," CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI.

(With PTI inputs)

MakeCAREERS360
My Trusted Source
Trusted Source ImageAdd as a preferred source on google

Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..

To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.

Download Our App

Start you preparation journey for JEE / NEET for free today with our APP

  • Students300M+Students
  • College36,000+Colleges
  • Exams550+Exams
  • Ebooks1500+Ebooks
  • Certification16000+Certifications