Vagisha Kaushik|Dec 5, 2023
NEET PG, UG Counselling 2021: Major changes in this year's counselling process
The Supreme Court today upheld EWS, OBC quota in NEET PG, UG 2021 Counselling for this year only. Students, resident doctors share mixed reactions.
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court allowed the resumption of NEET UG, PG 2021 counselling as per the existing 10% EWS, 27% OBC reservation criteria. After being deferred multiple times, the Supreme Court closed the arguments on January 6 and upheld the EWS, OBC quota in NEET PG Counselling 2021 today. Students, resident doctors have shared mixed reactions to the Supreme Court verdict on social media.
Suggested: IELTS & TOEFL Vocabulary Guide PDF
Both NEET PG and UG Counselling was put on hold due to this pending case. With the top court allowing NEET Counselling to start, the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) is expected to release the NEET PG 2021 Counselling schedule and NEET UG Counselling dates. Students have to know the following changes introduced this year before the counselling process begins for both NEET PG and UG in All India Quota (AIQ) seats.
- As per the Supreme Court interim order, 10% of all India quota seats will be reserved for EWS and 27% all India quota seats will be reserved for OBC in National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) UG and PG Counselling 2021.
- This year onwards, NEET UG and PG 2021 counselling will be conducted in four rounds. AIQ Round 1, AIQ Round 2, AIQ Mop-up round, and AIQ stray vacancy round. There will be no fresh registration for stray rounds.
- The remaining seats after completion of round 2 will be filled in mop-up and stray vacancy round by MCC in online mode. Earlier, mop-up and other rounds were for central and deemed universities only.
- The four rounds will only be conducted for AIQ seats having All India character which are contributed by states for 15% UG and 50% PG seats. The counselling scheme for central institutions will remain the same as the previous years.
NEET PG, UG Counselling 2021: Documents required
Before the NEET UG Counselling and NEET PG Counselling begins at mcc.nic.in. Candidates have to keep these documents ready.
- NEET 2021 admit card.
- NEET 2021 scorecard with rank.
- Class 10 and 12 marksheet.
- ID proof - Aadhaar card, PAN card, Driving License etc.
- Coloured passport sized photographs.
- Caste certificate and PwD certificate, if applicable
Supreme Court verdict on NEET Counselling: What the July 29 notice says?
The Supreme Court was hearing a batch of pleas that challenged the July 29 notice. The notice released by the ministry of health and family welfare on July 29, 2021 stated, “27% reservation for OBCs and 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) in the AIQ scheme for undergraduate and postgraduate medical/ dental courses (MBBS / MD / MS / Diploma / BDS / MDS) will be granted from the current academic year 2021-22”.
“This decision would benefit every year nearly 1500 OBC students in MBBS and 2500 OBC students in postgraduation and also around 550 EWS students in MBBS and around 1000 EWS students in postgraduation.” the notice added.
NEET UG Counselling 2021: Number of seats reserved in AIQ
All candidates who have qualified for All India Quota seats on the basis of their rank in NEET UG conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) will be eligible to apply. NEET counselling will be held for 15% All India Quota (AIQ), deemed/central universities, ESIC/AFMS, AIIMS and JIPMER colleges and 85% of seats in state government medical colleges Reservation policy of NEET UG Counselling in AIQ seats, as per the previous NEET UG Counselling brochure released by the MCC.
NEET PG Counselling 2021: Number of seats reserved in AIQ seats
All candidates who have qualified for All India Quota seats on the basis of their rank in NEET PG conducted by the National Board of Examination (NBE) are eligible to apply. Through NEET PG 2021 counselling, 9,953 Doctor of Medicine (MD), 10,821 Master of Surgery (MS), 1,979 PG Diploma and 1,338 DNB CET seats will be filled. A total of 6,102 colleges and 649 hospitals will participate in the NEET PG counselling 2021. Candidates can check the reservation policy in AIQ seats, as per the previous NEET PG Counselling brochure released by the MCC.
To get in touch, write to us at email@example.com.