Put JEE, NEET on hold, DMK chief Stalin urges Centre
Press Trust of India | August 24, 2020 | 06:17 PM IST | 1 min read
Enrol in Aakash Institute's Re-NEET 2026 victory batch at Rs. 99 only. Batch starts 16th May 2026.
Enrol NowCHENNAI: The Joint Entrance Examination and National Eligibility cum Entrance Test should be postponed until the spread of COVID-19 was brought under control, DMK President M K Stalin on Monday urged Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal.
Besides COVID-19, which has wreaked havoc on the nation, many parts of the country were yet to recover from the recent floods that have ravaged people's livelihoods, he said in a letter to Pokhriyal.
Students and parents are under enormous mental stress, he said, adding that considering the current restrictions on public transportation, the allotted exam centres are not uniformly accessible to all aspirants.
"It will not be possible for students belonging to rural areas and less-privileged sections to reach the exam centres. They will be put under a great disadvantage against their affluent counterparts."
NEET 2020 and JEE Main 2020
While around 25 lakh students are expected to sit for this year's NEET and JEE, the National Testing Agency has made it mandatory for the students to give an undertaking that they "are neither COVID-19 positive nor have any symptoms for the same."
However, in light of the fact that most of the infected population in India remains asymptomatic, demanding self-declaration from the students does not seem to be effective in any possible way, the Dravidian party chief argued.
If those appearing for the exams contracted the virus, there are "high possibilities of another wave of infections" across the country. "No decision shall be made in haste putting the lives of students at stake.
The government shall act, keeping the well-being and future of students in mind. In the light of the severe difficulties, I sincerely request you to postpone the JEE, NEET exams until COVID-19 is brought under control," he urged.
Also read:
-
JEE Main 2020: PEC director suggests ‘10-week plan’ to conduct exam
- JEE Main 2020: Aspirants worry about reaching exam centres amid floods
Write to us at news@careers360.com
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Featured News
]- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC
- Number of student suicides rises 80% in 10 years, 8.5% of total: NCRB report
- ANRF PAIR Programme gives Rs 100 crore to just 7 hub-spoke networks, rest get Rs 2 crore grants
- Pharmacy Council of India revamps B Pharma syllabus with AI, hospital training; rollout from 2026-27 session