‘Stay vigilant, exercise caution while traveling to UK’: High Commission advises Indians amid riots
Vagisha Kaushik | August 6, 2024 | 04:22 PM IST | 2 mins read
UK Protests: The High Commission of India in United Kingdom issued travel advisory and provided emergency contact information.
NEW DELHI : The High Commission of India in London has advised Indian nationals traveling to the United Kingdom to stay safe and avoid going to the protest areas amidst the ongoing violence. The commission issued an advisory on social media, providing emergency contact for anyone in need. Clashes erupted in different parts of the country targetting immigrants and asylum-seekers following the stabbing of three young girls and social media claims that the perpetrator was an asylum-seeker.
“Indian travellers would be aware of recent disturbances in some parts of the United Kingdom. The High Commission of India in London is closely monitoring the situation. Visitors from India are advised to stay vigilant and exercise due caution while travelling in the UK. It is advisable to follow local news and advisories issued by local security agencies, and to avoid areas where protests are underway,” said the commission in an official notice in a post on X (formerly Twitter).
The HCI London provided the contact information for its office, India House at Aldwych, London, whose phone number is +44-2078369147 and email ID is inf.london@mea.gov.in.
Two groups of protestors entered in a clash in Birmingham in the north and Plymouth in southern England recently. The riots were triggered in Southport, near Liverpool, where a group of young children were stabbed during a Taylor Swift themed dance class on July 29. Social media posts claimed that Axel Rudakubana, who has been allegedly charged with the murders, was a Muslim refugee who arrived illegaly last year on a boat.
Also read ‘Avoid local travel’: Advisory issued to Indian students in Bangladesh amid anti-quota protests
A "Taylor Swift Yoga and Dance Workshop" aimed at primary school children was taking place at the time of the attack in the seaside town north of the city of Liverpool. Eight other children suffered stab wounds in the attack, five of whom remain in critical condition in hospital. Two adults, including one of the organisers of the event, also suffered critical injuries.
(with inputs from PTI)
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%