West Bengal School Jobs Scam: CBI files charge sheet, names ex-minister Partha Chatterjee
Press Trust of India | October 1, 2022 | 12:00 PM IST | 1 min read
Recruitment scam: The charge sheet also named 15 others including former SSC advisor Shanti Prasad Sinha, ex-SSC assistant secretary Ashok Kumar Saha.
KOLKATA: The Central Bureau of Investigation on Friday filed its first charge sheet in a Special CBI court in connection with the West Bengal School Service Commission (SSC) recruitment scam, naming ex-education minister Partha Chatterjee as one of the accused.
The charge sheet also named 15 others as accused including former SSC advisor Shanti Prasad Sinha, ex-SSC assistant secretary Ashok Kumar Saha and the then president of Adhoc Committee at the Board of Secondary Education, Kalyanmoy Ganguly.
Several ‘illegally appointed candidates’ were also named in the charge sheet. It was alleged in this case that the accused people entered into a conspiracy with one another to extend undue advantage in the matter of giving appointments to unqualified candidates to Group-C posts at various schools after the expiry of a panel.
Also read | Higher education can help reduce child marriage by 80%; preventing practice still a distant dream
The investigating agency, on the direction of the Calcutta High Court, is probing alleged irregularities in the recruitment of teaching and non-teaching staff in upper primary and secondary schools in the state. The alleged irregularities took place when Chatterjee was the education minister.
Chatterjee was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate in the last week of July when he was the state’s industry and commerce minister. Following the arrest, he was stripped of his portfolios. The ruling Trinamool Congress also suspended him. The CBI arrested Sinha in August. Chatterjee, Sinha, Ganguly and Saha are now in judicial custody.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently