Bihar government suspends teachers' training programmes to engage them in caste survey
Press Trust of India | August 2, 2023 | 05:33 PM IST | 2 mins read
In a letter, SCERT director Sajjan R urged competent authorities to immediately suspend all teachers' training programmes.
PATNA: A day after the Patna High Court held the caste survey in Bihar as "valid" and "legal", the state government on Wednesday swung into action and suspended all ongoing training programmes for teachers so that they can be engaged for early completion of the exercise. In a letter, State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT) Director Sajjan R urged competent authorities to immediately suspend all such teachers' training programmes. He sent the letter to the Bihar Institute of Public Administration and Rural Development (BIPARD-Gaya and Patna), heads of all teacher education colleges, district institutes for education and training, primary teacher education colleges and such block institutes.
ALSO READ| OFSS Bihar third merit list 2023 released at ofssbihar.in; direct link
“Following the direction of the state government, all ongoing training programmes for teachers across the state are suspended with immediate effect. The decision has been taken to ensure that services of teachers (including new recruits) can be utilised for early completion of the caste survey in the state," the SCERT director said. Apart from doing their routine teaching work at their respective schools, teachers, who are undergoing training, are also instructed to contribute their services in the caste survey, he said in the letter.
ALSO READ| OFSS 2023 Bihar board intermediate second selection list out; official link
The Patna High Court had, on May 4, temporarily suspended Bihar's ongoing caste survey. The state government maintained that the collection of caste-based data is a constitutional mandate. However, the high court on Tuesday held the caste survey as "valid" and "legal". The court had also dismissed petitions filed against the caste survey initiated by the state government in June 2022. The first phase of the exercise was completed on January 21. Around 15,000 officials, including enumerators and observers, had been assigned various responsibilities for the door-to-door survey. The state government would spend Rs 500 crore from its contingency fund for the exercise. The general administration department is the nodal authority for the survey.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently
- Over 7 lakh Kendriya Vidyalaya students assessed via education ministry’s TARA app, 1.46 lakh on career tool
- Caste on Campus: The shape of discrimination in universities and why many back UGC equity regulations
- Across Telangana’s new government medical colleges, 26 depts empty, 31 with single teachers: Doctors’ survey
- ‘No TET’: School teachers’ jobs at risk, hundreds in Delhi to rally against mandatory eligibility tests