CJP seeks written assurance on withdrawal of FIRs, warns of fresh protest
Press Trust of India | July 27, 2026 | 08:50 PM IST | 2 mins read
Party says agitation will resume if government fails to honour agreement by Tuesday.
New Delhi: The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) on Monday said it was awaiting the government's promised written agreement on the withdrawal of criminal cases against protesters and organisers, and warned that it would be forced to resume its agitation if the assurance was not received by Tuesday.
Addressing a press conference, CJP national spokesperson Ashutosh Ranka said the issue was discussed during the third round of talks with the government before the 36-day protest at Jantar Mantar was called off. "In the third round of talks, we had agreed that all FIRs filed against protesters and organisers across the country would be withdrawn and no new FIR would be filed against any organiser and protester in future," Ranka said.
CJP waits for Centre's written agreement
He said the CJP had submitted a draft agreement to Union ministers J P Nadda and Jitendra Singh, and it was agreed that the government would share a written agreement by Tuesday after legal consultations. "We are waiting for the government to share the written agreement. We hope a senior Cabinet minister will honour the agreement and FIRs will be withdrawn, no protester or organiser would be harassed, and no cases would be filed in future," he said.
Also read NEET protest 2026 exposes an education system grooming students for ‘one rat race after another’
Ranka said if the written agreement was not received by Tuesday and protesters and organisers arrested in connection with the agitation were not released, the outfit would be "forced to protest again". CJP chief spokesperson Saurav Das said the CJP had ended its protest "in good faith" after the government agreed to act on its principal demands or assured action within a specified timeline.
Ranka alleges bid to weaken youth movement
Ranka said the organisation had consulted senior advocate Kapil Sibal before and after calling off the agitation to ensure that the youth movement was not derailed by what he described as politically motivated litigation or other attempts to weaken it. "When we called off the protest, we had doubts that once the momentum went down, the government might target people at an individual level. The same playbook has been used in other protests, where people have been individually targeted," he alleged.
He said the CJP had been providing legal and medical assistance to protesters across the country since the beginning of the movement. Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, who also addressed the press conference, said no action should be taken against students who participated in what he described as an organic protest. "We don't want action to be taken against students who did a protest. It was an organic movement.
Governments want no dissent," Sibal said. The CJP had called off its 36-day agitation at Jantar Mantar on Saturday after the government accepted key demands of the protesters, including the resignation of then Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan, and assured action on other demands within an agreed timeline.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]MGU asks students' union to remove cockroach posters; SFI stages protest
Mahatma Gandhi University's admin has directed the SFI students' union to remove posters carrying a cockroach image and visuals from the Delhi NEET paper leak protests ahead of its national conference
Press Trust of India | 2 mins readFeatured News
]- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report
- MUHS plans virtual classrooms, remote lectures to tackle faculty crunch at new Maharashtra medical colleges
- NEET Counselling 2026: MBBS fees cross Rs 1 crore at 46 medical colleges, soar at new deemed universities
- PM Research Chair: 3,600 apply for fellowship; over 400 for ‘host institution’ status, says govt
- ‘Tughlaki’ Orders: Visva-Bharati teachers oppose biometric attendance, monthly workload report
- Assam’s State Higher Education Council: Facilitator or another bureaucratic layer, ask academics
- Under 25% of candidates selected via NTA NET join NFSC; panel pulls up govt for coaching scheme’s poor show