Faculties of MoE's TEQIP project demand regularisation of services
Press Trust of India | September 4, 2021 | 06:06 PM IST | 1 min read
Over 150 assistant professors recruited under TEQIP-III, which aims to improve technical education quality in remote areas, are protesting in Delhi for regularisation.
NEW DELHI: Over 150 assistant professors who were recruited under the third phase of the Ministry of Education's TEQIP project have been protesting in the national capital demanding regularisation of their services.
A statement said the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme, initiated with the World Bank, is aimed at improving the quality of technical education especially in low income states and Special Category states by providing highly qualified faculty members to existing engineering colleges.
Under the project's third phase, the protesting faculties had been engaged as assistant professors. The project is set to end on September 30, the statement said.
Under the TEQIP-III project , 1,500 assistant professors were recruited on a temporary basis for 71 engineering institutions in rural and focus areas across 12 states, the statement said.
Tejas Bele, who has been teaching at the Ujjain Engineering College and protesting at Mandi House, said the third phase of TEQIP is underway since 2017 and although it was supposed to end by September 2020, we got extension twice -- September 2020 and March 2021.
"The Centre was paying us. An MoU was signed between the central and state governments under which it was promised that after the project period, well performed faculties will be retained by state government to continue the services of assistant professor.
Also Read | Teacher’s Day 2021: Delhi government to honour 122 teachers with state teachers awards
"However, the Centre has asked us to go state government according to the MoU and the state governments in turn are saying that the faculties have been recruited by the Centre. We are here since August 25 and demanding the retention of our services. The project is ending on September 30. We will be in Delhi and not moving from here," Bele said.
Write to us at news@careers360.com .
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Featured News
]- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal