Press Trust of India|Jan 28, 2023
- IAS Sanjay Kumar takes charge as secretary of department of school education and literacy
IAS Sanjay Kumar takes charge as secretary of department of school education and literacy
Sanjay Kumar previously served as the principal secretary of the education department in Bihar. He has replaced Anita Karwal.
NEW DELHI: Sanjay Kumar, formerly secretary in the Department of Youth Affairs, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, took charge as the new secretary of the Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education. Kumar replaced Anita Karwal who served from November 28, 2020 to November 28, 2022.
“Today, Shri. Sanjay Kumar takes charge as Secretary, Dsel, EduMinistry, EduMinOfIndia, in Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi. Prior to his joining as Secretary, DselEduMinistry, EduMinOfIndia, he was Secretary, YASMinistry,” the Ministry of Education said in a tweet.
Today, Shri. Sanjay Kumar takes charge as Secretary, @DselEduMinistry , @EduMinOfIndia, in Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi.— Ministry of Education (@EduMinOfIndia) December 1, 2022
Prior to his joining as Secretary, @DselEduMinistry, @EduMinOfIndia, he was Secretary, @YASMinistry. pic.twitter.com/2mNkLCiGlu
Taking charge officially, Kumar held a meeting with senior ministry officials where he reviewed the functioning department along with autonomous bodies and various schemes relating to school education. In addition to this, discussions on the implementation of national educational policy (NEP) 2020 were also held. Discussions on building capacity of teachers, infrastructure in schools and upcoming Prime Minister’s interaction programme ‘Pariksha Pe Pariksha’ were also a part of the meeting.
Kumar took to Twitter and said, “I joined as secretary,dept of school education and literacy, EduMinOfIndia this morning. my best wishes to outgoing secretary smt anita karwal.” Kumar also served as the principal secretary of education in Bihar. He is an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer from the 1990 batch.
Meanwhile, the government has now limited its pre-matric scholarship scheme meant for backward and minority communities to students of Class 9 and 10 stating that Right to Education (RTE) covers compulsory education up to Class 8 for all students. Earlier, the pre-matric scholarship used to cover education for Classes 1 to 8 also belonging to SC, ST, OBC and minority communities. The All India Forum for Right to Education (AIFRTE) has condemned the central government’s decision and demanded withdrawal of the "anti-people" move.
To get in touch, write to us at email@example.com.