Jharkhand exam row: Three protesters end hunger strike after recruitment tests cancelled
Press Trust of India | August 18, 2026 | 06:12 PM IST | 4 mins read
Devendra Mahto and two others call off fast after Hemant Soren scraps JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted exams
Ranchi: Three of the six protesters, including JLKM leader Devendra Mahto, who were on hunger strike over the alleged job exam irregularities in Jharkhand, ended the fast after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of all recruitment tests conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014. Mahto, who had been on the fast for 16 days, called off the hunger strike around Monday midnight.
A member of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch said two protesters Prem Nayak and Umme Habiba also ended the fast, while three others Rahul Kranti, Sabita Kumari and Rupesh Pal are continuing. The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been spearheading the agitation at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium since July 25.
Protesters may take a call on withdrawing the demonstration, which entered its 25th day on Tuesday, after the state government cancelled all recruitment tests, including the JSSC-CGL exam , conducted by the outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL). "Today, our protest enters its 25th day. We may decide whether we continue or call the agitation off after the government's announcement," a protesting student said.
Government cancels recruitment tests
The announcement of the cancellation of exams came after Chief Minister Hemant Soren chaired a marathon cabinet meeting at the state secretariat here on Monday. He also said an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would recommend measures to strengthen the process of recruitment tests.
Also read Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, TDPL exams; forms panel to reform recruitment process
"The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) and the results published by it," Soren told reporters after the meeting on Monday.
Students were seen celebrating and waving the Tricolour after the announcement. Activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mahto over a video call, describing the government's decision as a "victory for everyone".
Protesters seek CBI probe
"It seems that this victory is one in which no one loses. You have won, and the government has won too, because they also intend to do good. So, this is a victory where the other side does not have to face defeat. It is a victory for everyone -- a victory for India, for the people, and for Jharkhand," he said.
However, the decision failed to end the protest on Monday night as the agitators maintained that their key demand for a CBI probe into alleged examination irregularities had not been accepted. Rahul Kranti, one of the protesters undergoing treatment at Sadar Hospital, said the agitation would continue unless the government accepted the demand for a CBI probe.
Leaders react to students' agitation
Former Jharkhand chief minister Champai Soren on Tuesday congratulated the students for "clinching victory through struggle in the first phase of the movement". "Heartiest congratulations to all of you on the victory through struggle in the first phase of this movement, and best wishes for a bright future," Soren said in a statement.
The BJP legislator hailed the students for their demonstration, despite baton charges and a lack of basic facilities at the protest site. The chief minister said the government was concerned about the agitation and had already enacted the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act, which would be implemented strictly.
Probe points to alleged exam racket
"Several surprising factors emerged during the probe into exam irregularities by the CID and special investigation team. These cannot be disclosed at this juncture," Hemant Soren said, adding that several companies operating in Jharkhand appeared to be involved in a "huge exam racket".
The agitators had announced plans to gherao the chief minister's residence on August 20 and appealed to students from across the state to assemble in Ranchi. They had also sought the CM's resignation and accused the ruling JMM-Congress alliance of failing to take concrete action on their demands.
Successful applicants oppose cancellation
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination , however, triggered a counter-protest by those who had cleared the examination and secured government jobs. A group of successful candidates gathered outside the state secretariat on Tuesday and appealed to Soren not to cancel the examination, claiming that the move would render around 2,000 people jobless.
The opposition BJP backed the protesting students' demand for a CBI probe. Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi urged the CM to accept the students' demands and questioned why the government should fear a CBI probe if it was confident about the recruitment process. Marandi said continued government inaction could push more youth and students onto the streets and extended moral support to the proposed August 20 demonstration.
Government plans recruitment reforms
With the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-conducted examinations, the government has accepted one of the agitation's most prominent demands. The government, meanwhile, asserted that it is prepared to overhaul the examination system through the new reforms committee and stricter enforcement of the anti-unfair-means law. Meanwhile, the CID continued raids to nab culprits involved in exam irregularities. "We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations," CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]JPSC postpones July 25 state civil services mains exam over alleged irregularities; five held
Among the 5 people arrested, the Jharkhand police have also held Shweta Gupta, deputy examination controllers, following raids linked to alleged irregularities in JPSC competitive examinations.
Suviral Shukla | 4 mins readFeatured News
]- ‘Chowkidar-cum-Gatekeeper’: Why Visva-Bharati’s biotech head won’t enforce order for monthly workload reports
- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report
- MUHS plans virtual classrooms, remote lectures to tackle faculty crunch at new Maharashtra medical colleges
- NEET Counselling 2026: MBBS fees cross Rs 1 crore at 46 medical colleges, soar at new deemed universities
- PM Research Chair: 3,600 apply for fellowship; over 400 for ‘host institution’ status, says govt
- ‘Tughlaki’ Orders: Visva-Bharati teachers oppose biometric attendance, monthly workload report
- Assam’s State Higher Education Council: Facilitator or another bureaucratic layer, ask academics