NEET 2020: Supreme Court dismisses petitions seeking postponement

NEET 2020: Supreme Court dismisses petitions seeking postponement
Abhay Anand | Sep 9, 2020 - 11:42 a.m. IST
Share Via

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court of India today dismissed three fresh petitions filed seeking postponement of National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) 2020. The NEET 2020 is scheduled to be held on September 13.

A three-judge bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan, R. Subhash Reddy and MR Shah dismissed three fresh petitions seeking postponement of the NEET exams scheduled to take place on September 13. Earlier, on August 17, a three-judge bench of the SC headed by Justice Arun Mishra had dismissed the pleas seeking the postponement of the NEET and Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main.

Later six states also approached the SC by filing a review petition seeking a postponement. The apex court on September 8, dismissed the review petition seeking Postponement of the exams.

While arguing today, senior advocate Arvind P Datar submits that the petitioners are only seeking a postponement. Datar said: “16 lakhs students are writing the exam. This is the only medical exam. Take the case of Bihar. There are only two centres- Patna & Gaya. Trains are not running till 30th. We are only asking for 3 weeks postponement,” reported Live Law.

Senior advocate KTS Tulsi also argued that the students in containment zones cannot come out as COVID-19 cases are increasing. As reported by Bar & Bench, KTS Tulsi submitted that the Bombay HC has passed an order last week asking NTA to consider the cases of students who could not write JEE exams.

However, justice MR Shah replying to Datar said that all arrangements will be made for the NEET exams. The three-judge bench also observed that the concerned authorities will take all the necessary precautions for the safety of students.

Also Read

Write to us news@careers360.com

Stay updated with latest Education News
Back to top