PMCH MBBS internals; 200 students skip re-test after exam cancellation over alleged malpractice
Aatif Ammad | May 22, 2026 | 02:04 PM IST | 2 mins read
Students protested collective cancellation; PMCH defended fairness move as academic pressure, shifts assessment to August
Around 200 MBBS students from the 2022 batch at Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) boycotted a rescheduled internal assessment after the college scrapped an earlier examination for the entire batch over alleged malpractice concerns involving a few students.
As per the Medical Dialogues report, the written internal assessment in the department of medicine was initially conducted on May 11, while practical and viva examinations were held the next day. However, after the exams concluded, concerns reportedly emerged over the security of question papers and answer sheets, along with possible irregularities during evaluation and related procedures.
Following this, the administration cancelled the examination for the full batch and announced a fresh written paper for May 20, with viva and practical exams scheduled for May 21, as per Medical Dialogues.
PMCH: Students oppose cancellation
In protest, students, as per the MD report, stayed away from the re-test, leaving the examination hall empty despite arrangements being in place. Invigilators and faculty members remained present during the scheduled exam period.
Students argued that action should have been taken only against those found involved, rather than cancelling the test for everyone. Many claimed they had appeared honestly and that the decision unfairly penalised innocent candidates.
Their main concerns reportedly included;
- Collective punishment without identifying those responsible
- Lack of transparent investigation
- Increased academic stress
- No consultation before rescheduling the test
MD reported that PMCH defended its decision, saying maintaining fairness and exam integrity was essential. The administration deployed additional faculty members and a flying squad to ensure a malpractice-free retest.
Also read 'Three Attempts, Two Leaks': NEET aspirants open up on repeated uncertainty
PMCH principal Narendra Pratap, as per the report, said that skipping the exam was a personal choice of students and clarified that no fresh dates would be issued. He also warned that absence could create academic complications.
The second internal assessment is expected in August, increasing pressure on students who missed the re-test.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Fees to social media-use: What NCAHP’s first ethics code for allied, healthcare professionals says
NCAHP draft mandates physiotherapists, optometrists, nutritionists to disclose fees upfront, gives them rights to refuse non-paying patients; bans endorsements, buying social media followers
Musab Qazi | 2 mins readFeatured News
]- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC
- Number of student suicides rises 80% in 10 years, 8.5% of total: NCRB report