S Korea says stay home ahead of national exams

S Korea says stay home ahead of national exams
Press Trust of India | Dec 2, 2020 - 12:51 p.m. IST
Share Via

NEW DELHI: South Korean officials are urging people to remain at home if possible and cancel gatherings large and small as around half a million students prepared for a crucial national college exam.

Vice Education Minister Park Baeg-beom says the 490,000 applicants so far include 35 virus carriers who will take exams Thursday at hospitals or treatment shelters. Education authorities have also prepared separate venues for some 400 applicants currently under self-quarantine. Applicants will be required to wear masks and maintain distance from each other. They will be screened for fever and take exams separately if they have symptoms.

Park Yu-mi, an anti-virus official in Seoul, pleaded with people to cancel all gatherings of more than 10, and for companies to half at least one-third of their employees work from home to ensure a safe environment for Thursday's examination.

A recent spike in coronavirus infections has made this year's exams more complicated and there are concerns that the nationwide exercise could accelerate the viral spread. The country on Wednesday reported 511 new infections, continuing a weekslong resurgence centered around the greater capital area that brought the national caseload to 35,163, including 526 deaths.

Also read:

Write to us at news@careers360.com


Back to top