Citing SC stay order, UGC asks Odisha to halt recruitment in universities for 3 months
Press Trust of India | May 27, 2022 | 02:25 PM IST | 2 mins read
The Act was passed in the assembly but the opposition alleged that the law will curtail the financial and administrative autonomy of the universities.
Bhubaneswar: The University of Grants Commission (UGC) has asked the Odisha government and OPSC to refrain from recruiting faculty or non-teaching staff in universities for three months as the Supreme Court has issued a stay order on the Odisha Universities (Amendment) Act 2020 for that period.
The Act was passed in the assembly but the opposition alleged that the law will curtail the financial and administrative autonomy of the universities and that the institutions will come under the direct control of the state government. UGC filed special leave petitions (SLPs) before the Supreme Court challenging the Act, and the apex court put an interim halt on its implementation.
Also read | Geetanjali Shree wins International Booker Prize for first Hindi novel 'Tomb of Sand'
In separate letters to the Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC) and the state Higher Education Department on May 25, University Grants Commission (UGC) Secretary Professor Rajnish Jain opposed the process for recruitment of assistant professors for sociology and commerce streams that violates the stay order.
"The UGC has assailed the judgment dated January 24, 2022 passed by the Orissa High Court in Writ Petition (C), which had upheld the validity of the Act by SLPs before Supreme Court, which stayed the operation of the impugned judgment for a period of three months," the letter stated.
Also read | ‘Scammed by the government’: IIT, NIT graduates in TEQIP programme managing shops, coaching online
The UGC pointed out that despite the stay order granted by the apex court, the OPSC proceeded with the recruitment process for the post of assistant professor in sociology and commerce streams. "Since the recruitment of teachers/faculty by the OPSC and that of non-teaching staff by the State Selection Board is directly in issue in the SLPs pending before the Supreme Court, the continuation of the recruitment process will be in the teeth of the stay order dated 20.05.2022 granted by the apex court," it stated. "The UGC also reserves all its rights to take appropriate legal remedy in this regard," it added.
OPSC Secretary Ashok Das, however, said the commission was yet to receive the letter from the UGC. The commission is continuing the ongoing recruitment process, he said. "OPSC will take a decision in this regard after receiving the letter," he added. A delegation of retired vice-chancellors and professors is scheduled to meet Governor Ganeshi Lal over the issue during the day.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC