JNU professor Rohit Azad withdraws from SAU event in solidarity with suspended professors, students
Anu Parthiban | March 21, 2025 | 04:38 PM IST | 1 min read
Rohit Azad clarified that his decision to withdraw from the event was not targeted at the academic departments or colleagues but at the SAU administration for its "authoritarianism".
NEW DELHI: Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) professor Rohit Azad, who was invited to deliver a talk at the South Asian University (SAU), has withdrawn his name from the event in solidarity with two of his colleagues and students “who have kept up the resistance at SAU”.
Rohit Azad, faculty at the Centre for Studies in Economic Studies and Planning, JNU, was invited to talk on “The Political Economy of Climate Change” on April 9, 2025. The seminar series is being organised by the Department of Sociology.
He clarified that his decision to withdraw from the event is not targeted at the academic departments or the colleagues. “My decision instead is to do with the apathy and authoritarianism shown by the SAU administration,” he said in a statement.
Condemning the suspension of four professors on June 16, 2023, for questioning the administration’s “arbitrary decisions”, the JNU professor said: “Instead of trying to resolve the matters, things have been precipitated by the university. In this instance, the Indian faculty were the ones who drew the ire of the administration for holding independent opinions that did not coincide with the diktats of the university administration. But it did not stop there.”
The four faculty members who were suspended by the SAU administration are - Snehashish Bhattacharya, faculty of economics; Srinivas Burra, faculty of legal studies; Irfanullah Farooqi, department of sociology, faculty of social science; and Ravi Kumar, department of sociology, faculty of social science.
He also alleged that the university “forced” a renowned sociologist, an international faculty member from one of the SAARC countries, to resign from the university.
The professor also criticised the SAU administration for “turning a blind eye” to the recent communal assault on women students of the university during a clash between two student organisations allegedly for serving non-vegetarian food on Maha Shivratri .
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- Jadavpur University pro-VC: Faculty, new curriculum keep its BTech ‘globally relevant’ despite fund crunch
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director