Patna: TET candidates protest seeking immediate recruitment; lathi-charged by police
Press Trust of India | December 13, 2022 | 08:51 PM IST | 1 min read
Teaching job aspirants' protest demanding immediate recruitment turns violent as police uses 'mild force' to disperse protestors.
PATNA: A demonstration by teaching job aspirants seeking immediate recruitment in schools turned violent here on Tuesday when the police used "mild force" to disperse the agitators, who brought traffic to a halt in the Bihar capital, and clashes subsequently ensued between the two sides, officials said.
The agitators, who claimed to have cleared eligibility tests months ago, gathered at Dak Bungalow Crossing around noon, and blocked the thoroughfares, prompting the police to intervene, they said. Talking to PTI, Patna District Magistrate Chandrashekhar Singh said the police had to use batons and water cannons to disperse the protesters as they refused to call off the agitation and allow traffic movement, despite repeated requests.
Also Read | DU students allegedly manhandled during protest against decision to stop MANF scheme
"Clashes ensued between the police personnel and the agitators around 1.45 pm, when attempts were made to clear the stretch for vehicular movement. Some demonstrators as well as policemen suffered minor injuries in the melee. "Security personnel mildly lathi-charged the protesters and fired water cannons to bring the situation under control," Singh explained.
One of the protesters, talking to reporters, claimed that they had been seeking recruitment for months, having cleared Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) and Central Teacher Eligibility Test, but the state government was "indifferent to their plight". "The state government did not issue any notification for our appointment as such. Six rounds of recruitment have been conducted after declaration of results, and we have been waiting for the seventh phase to commence.
Over two lakh posts of teachers in primary and higher secondary schools are supposed to get filled in the seventh phase," the agitator, who did not wish to be identified, added. Despite attempts, state education minister Chandra Shekhar could not be reached for his comment. Officials of the education department, however, maintained that a notification pertaining to their recruitment would soon be issued.
If you want to share your experience at work, talk about hiring trends or discuss internships, write to us at theworkplace@careers360.com. To know more about The Workplace itself, here's a handy note: Let’s talk work…
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection