Protest by Class 12 students seeking pass marks disrupts traffic flow in West Bengal's Siliguri
Press Trust of India | June 13, 2022 | 11:21 PM IST | 2 mins read
West Bengal: Protesting students seeking pass marks in the Class 12 exam alleged that the syllabus was completed in a hurry by the teachers.
KOLKATA: Unsuccessful candidates of Class 12 West Bengal board examination on Monday took to the streets of Siliguri in the northern part of the state, demanding that they be awarded pass marks. Some of the agitators shouted slogans and blocked thoroughfares in Fulbari and Champasari areas for about an hour, disrupting traffic movement, a police officer said The blockade was lifted upon persuasion by police officers, he said.
Among those who staged protests included students of Fulbari High School, Sri Guru Bidyamandir, Deshbandhu Hindi High School, Terai Tarapada Adarsha Bidyalaya and Hakimpara Girls High School. One of the agitating candidates from Fulbari High School said, "Offline classes could not be held for the greater part of the last two years.
The syllabus was completed in a hurry by the teachers. Shouldn't the council show some leniency? What will happen to our career?” An estimated 88.44 percent of 7,20,862 candidates cleared the West Bengal Higher Secondary Examinations (Class 12) this year, results of which were declared on June 10. West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education President Chiranjib Bhattacharya had told a press meet that 90.19 percent of boys and 86.19 percent of girls have emerged successful.
Also read | Haryana Board (HBSE) withholds results of some schools due to bogus SLC certificates
In 2020, HS exams had to be suspended midway due to the surge in COVID-19 infections. Last year, too, the exams were not held owing to the pandemic-triggered situation. In 2021, after days of protests by several unsuccessful students over the criteria adopted for evaluation, the West Bengal Higher Secondary Council announced that all candidates of the class 12 board examinations would be given the minimum scores required for passing the exam. Talking to PTI, Bhattacharya said, "Unlike last year, exams were held this year. It is not possible to award qualifying score to all students. This year, 11.6 per cent candidates could not clear the exam, held at home centres across Bengal," he said.
Also read | CA Foundation, Inter, Final: What do ICAI’s syllabus reforms mean for students?
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Galgotias University: 2,297 patents filed, just 1% granted; with 63%, IITs far ahead of private institutes
- Samajwadi Party calls Galgotias University’s robot dog display ‘mockery of UP’, says ‘cancel recognition’
- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- Less bias, more risk? CBSE on-screen marking system leaves Class 12 students, teachers cautious but optimistic
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act