Tamil Nadu non-service PG bond doctors demand reforms in a meeting with TN government

51.23% of candidates choose bond posting in DME Tamil Nadu only while more than 97.78% want to be posted in either Directorate of Medical and Rural Health Services or DME.

Tamil Nadu non-service PG bond doctors demand reforms in a meeting with TN government Tami Nadu non-service PG bond doctors demand reforms in a meeting with TN government (Image Source: freepik)
Tanuja Joshi | Aug 13, 2023 - 2:24 p.m. IST
Share Via

NEW DELHI: The Tamil Nadu government organised a meeting to address the concerns of non-service postgraduate (PG) bond doctors. The director of the Directorate of Medical Education and Research Chennai invited the representatives of the doctors and acknowledged their demands and survey findings.

The meeting was conducted following a series of negotiations between the government and various medical associations, including the Tamil Nadu Medical Students Association (TNMSA), the Doctors Association for Social Equality (DASE), and the Tamil Nadu Resident Doctors Association (TNRDA). The core focus of the discussions was on the bond conditions for Non-Service PG doctors, and the findings of a comprehensive survey conducted by the associations.

ALSO READ| Tamil Nadu NEET PG counselling 2023 registration closes at 5 pm on tnmedicalselection.net

The Non-Service PG bond doctors have put forth a list of demands supported by the results of the survey, which had the participation of over 1000 Non-Service PG bond doctors. 57 percent of non-service PG bond doctors want to complete Bond in Tamil Nadu but the remaining 43 percent do not. They also supported the reduction of the bond period and advocated for access to certificates upon completion of the bond.

According to the survey, 51.23 percent of candidates choose to do bond posting in the Directorate of Medical Education (DME) only and more than 97.78 percent of candidates want to do bond posting in either Directorate of Medical and Rural Health Services (DMS) or DME.

According to the PG bond doctors, to give better quality health services to people PG doctors should be posted in DMS or DME particularly in the concerned department. 76.96 percent of doctors also said that the degree certificates should be handed over to candidates if the bond period of 24 months) is over as per judgement and that without a certificate they won’t get a job in private hospitals.

ALSO READ| Karnataka NEET PG 2023 registration extends; apply by August 13

This year's programme was completed on May 31, but university exams including practicals were delayed till August 4, 2023. 92.9 percent of non-service PG doctors have demanded a salary for this delayed period.

The doctors presented the example of the Karnataka government which has withdrawn the bond period as appreciation for the work done by doctors who have done PG during COVID. The government gave degree certificates to doctors immediately without doing a bond period; 95.2 percent of candidates supported this.

96.3 percent of candidates appreciated the similar effort done by the Kerala government which has reduced the bond period to one year for those who have done PG during the COVID period.

Key Issues Raised by non-service PG doctors

Impact of COVID - The first year of residency for the 2020 PG batch was affected by COVID-related activities, impacting academic growth and skill development. The pandemic led to an extended period of overworking without support from a junior batch due to delays in exam schedules.

The doctors proposed that the bond period should be served in the respective "parent" departments of the institutes where they completed their residency. They stressed that the public interest would be better served if postgraduate doctors were posted in tertiary care centres in their respective departments, ensuring quality care.

ALSO READ| NEET PG Counselling 2023 round 1 seat allotment results out at mcc.nic.in; what's next?

Maternity Leave - Demands for extending maternity leave and benefits to non-service PG doctors to acknowledge their rights and well-being were emphasised.

Access to Certificates – The doctors requested access to their educational certificates and timely bond posting counselling to enable employment opportunities.

Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, schools, research, NEP and education policies and more..

To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.

Know More About
Download Exam Brochure
Back to top