CUET, JEE, NEET merger will be announced at least two years in advance: Jagadesh Kumar
UGC chairman M Jagadesh Kumar informed that CUET UG 2023 will be conducted in 3 shifts and over 11 lakh students have applied so far.
Know your admission chances in CUET Courses based on CUET Score by using CUET College Predictor 2024.
Try NowVagisha Kaushik | March 15, 2023 | 08:29 PM IST
NEW DELHI : The merger of Common University Entrance Test (CUET) with the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) and National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) exams will be announced at least two years in advance, said University Grants Commission (UGC) chairman, Mamidala Jagadesh Kumar, as per a PTI report.
"It is definitely doable. The details are being worked out but whenever the merger happens, announcement will be made at least two years in advance so the students can prepare accordingly,” Kumar said in an interview with PTI.
Also Read | NEET UG: NMC may conduct exam or designate ‘multiple agencies’, says draft policy
"NEP 2020 has clearly said the burden should be reduced on student by having single national level entrance examination. We floated the idea to mentally prepare students that NEP has proposed such a thing and there is a possibility in the coming years. We are working internally, how to take this forward,” he added.
Earlier, Kumar said that no formal decision has been taken on the merger of JEE, NEET, and CUET and nothing will be imposed on students. His comments came two days after Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said there are no plans to merge these exams for the next two years.
Also Read | Is CUET exam encouraging a 'tunnel vision'? School heads on college admission test
The merger proposal was not received well by the students, parents and academicians. Several students expressed concerns and doubts about the idea of merging engineering, medical and UG entrance exams into ‘one nation, one entrance exam’.
In August last year, UGC had announced the proposal of merging the three exams and a single entrance exam . The purpose behind the proposal is to reduce the stress on students. “The proposal is, can we integrate all these entrance examinations so that our students are not subjected to multiple entrance examinations based on the same knowledge-base? The students should have one single entrance examination, but multiple opportunities to apply among the disciplines,” Kumar had said. UGC also saw the move from the point of simplifying the logistics process for both aspirants as well as the National Testing Agency (NTA).
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- ICSI study material enough to clear CSEET; absolutely against private coaching: President
- Navigating Uncertainty: How Ivy League aspirants can tackle US visa challenges
- Education in Manipur: Futures at risk as ethnic violence derails academic dreams of over 50,000 students
- SC enrollment 5.2%, ST’s negligible 1%: Panel flags forward caste dominance in top private universities
- ITEP set for exponential growth as 1,400 institutes seek to launch new four-year teacher training course
- Holding CBSE Class 10 twice can lead to ‘paper leaks, irregularities’, warns parliament panel
- Reservation in private universities, NTA annual reports, CUET review among Parliament panel’s recommendations
- Biodiversity Courses: Central University of Odisha caught in the middle of research vs jobs debate
- ‘Not justified’ to withhold SSA funds over PM SHRI schools: Parliament panel
- PhD admission gaps: Why marginalised candidates struggle to fill reserved seats across central universities