IGNOU, ICCR, CHD to jointly offer online Basic Hindi Awareness course for foreign nationals

IGNOU will register, enrol, evaluate, and certify students while Central Hindi Directorate will provide for study materials. ICCR will bear 70% of the fees.

IGNOU, ICCR, CHD to jointly offer online Basic Hindi Awareness course for foreign nationals Hindi language course for international
Vagisha Kaushik | Nov 7, 2022 - 5:05 p.m. IST
Share Via

NEW DELHI: The Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) in collaboration with Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), and Central Hindi Directorate (CHD) is introducing a three-month online Basic Hindi Awareness programme for foreign nationals. The officials of the three will sign a tripartite agreement on November 3.

Classes will begin from November 16 and will be held twice a week. The course aims to develop basic awareness and knowledge about Hindi language amongst the foreign nationals. ICCR informed that a total of 226 students have registered for the programme from 9 countries including Thailand, China, Mauritius, Indonesia, Vietnam, Iran, Taiwan, Philippines and Romania.

Explaining the roles of IGNOU, CHD, and the council, an official statement from ICCR said that IGNOU will register and enrol students in the course. It will also be responsible for evaluation and certification of students.

Also Read | AKTU to teach BTech first-year in Hindi, AICTE to introduce books: Report

CHD is an apex body of the Ministry of Education for promotion of Hindi and will make study materials available for students. It will also guide and assess the students. ICCR will bear 70% of the fees of the Hindi course while students will have to pay the remaining 30%.

“Hindi is the third most spoken language in the world. Hindi, one of India’s official languages, is also the most spoken language in India. Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) as per it’s mandate of promotion of Indian culture abroad, is already engaged in promotion of Hindi language abroad. ICCR is deputing Hindi teachers and Hindi professors to India Culture Centers and ICCR Hindi chairs established in universities abroad respectively. Scholarships awarded by ICCR is also one of the important steps towards promotion of Hindi language abroad,” read ICCR’s statement.


Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, schools, research, NEP and education policies and more..

To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.

Back to top