UGC rejects JNU claim on grant, says has not received any proposal
Press Trust of India | September 28, 2022 | 04:27 PM IST | 2 mins read
UGC's statement came a day after JNU said a proposal was sent to the Commission on September 2021 for Rs 56 crore under different heads
NEW DELHI : A day after Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) said it had requested for grants from the University Grants Commission for hostel repairs last year, the commission termed the university claims "factually incorrect", saying it had not received any such proposal for approval. In a statement, the UGC said it released Rs 14 crore for renovation and upgradation works on June 24. This came a day after JNU in a statement said a proposal was sent to UGC on September 2021 for Rs 56 crore under different heads requesting it to sanction the requisite amount as a special grant to the university.
"UGC released Rs 14 crore to JNU on 24th June, 2022 for structural repair and renovation/upgradation works. Thereafter, UGC has not received any such proposal from JNU for approval of the Standing Committee as per terms and conditions of the UGC sanction letter dated 16.06.2022," the UGC said in the statement. The university said on Monday that the first instalment of Rs 14 crore has been released, adding that the repair work will be carried out in two phases. Under phase one, structural repair works in Ganga, Kaveri and Periyar hostels will be carried out, along with a renovation of the dining hall, kitchen and toilets of Sabarmati Hostel.
Also Read | UGC NET 2022 admit card issued for September 30 at ugcnet.nta.nic.in; how to download
Speaking to PTI, JNU VC Santishree D Pandit said that the university sent a proposal to the UGC in September last year for Rs 56 crore under various heads. It requested the UGC to sanction the requisite amount as a special grant to take up on priority structural repairs, and up-gradation and renovation of hostels, guest houses, academic, administrative, residential and other buildings on the campus. "The UGC will give Rs 56 crore in two years. It has divided the money into four instalments. The first instalment has come to us just this month which is of Rs 14 crore. Immediately after that, we had the building and works committee meeting," Pandit said. The administration has decided to start the repair work from the Sabarmati hostel.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Galgotias University: 2,297 patents filed, just 1% granted; with 63%, IITs far ahead of private institutes
- Samajwadi Party calls Galgotias University’s robot dog display ‘mockery of UP’, says ‘cancel recognition’
- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- Less bias, more risk? CBSE on-screen marking system leaves Class 12 students, teachers cautious but optimistic
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act