IIJNM discontinues journalism courses, issues notice of ‘closing down’ institution
Press Trust of India | June 15, 2024 | 09:12 AM IST | 1 min read
Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media said that the decision was reached as the number of applicants this year is far below what is needed for a viable programme.
BENGALURU: One of the prominent journalism institutes Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media has said it will no longer be offering programmes in journalism. Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media (IIJNM) has said this in an email sent to the candidates who had applied and were selected for the academic year 2024-25.
Sources at the institute said, the decision was taken aimed at avoiding financial losses. "The management of the Indian Institute of Journalism & New Media (IIJNM) regrets to inform you that we will no longer offer programmes in journalism. This decision was reached as the number of applicants so far this year is far below what is needed for a viable programme," IIJNM said in the email.
Stating that in the past 24 years, IIJNM has been a school of excellence in the journalism profession offering the best programme among colleges in India, it said, "however, given the recent environment in which we have been operating, it is not possible to attract enough students to avoid huge financial losses to continue the programme."
"Without waiting for the planned start of the course this year on July 22, 2024, we are giving you notice of closing down our beloved institution. We recognise it might pose some difficulty for you, but we have no other choice," it added. The institute has offered refund of the admission fee paid within 10 days of receipt of banking details. IIJNM offered Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism programmes in print, television, radio and multimedia journalism.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]NEET 2024: 5 held in Gujarat for trying to help candidates clear exam; cheques of Rs 2.30 crore seized
NEET Irregularities: The accused allegedly took Rs 10 lakh from each candidate to answer the questions left blank by them. He planned to answers after the exam papers are collected.
Press Trust of India | 1 min readFeatured News
]- Galgotias University: 2,297 patents filed, just 1% granted; with 63%, IITs far ahead of private institutes
- Samajwadi Party calls Galgotias University’s robot dog display ‘mockery of UP’, says ‘cancel recognition’
- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- Less bias, more risk? CBSE on-screen marking system leaves Class 12 students, teachers cautious but optimistic
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act