JEE Main and NEET 2020: NTA to make recommendations on exam dates, says HRD Minister
Team Careers360 | July 2, 2020 | 03:14 PM IST | 2 mins read
NEW DELHI: The Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on July 2 advised the National Testing Agency Director General (NTA DG), to review the current COVID-19 situation and submit their recommendations by July 3, 2020, on whether to conduct National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) and Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) or postpone it further.
As per the existing schedule, NTA is to conduct the JEE Main from July 18 to 23, 2020, for admission to engineering undergraduate courses. While, NEET will be held on July 26, 2020, for UG medical and dental admissions.
Looking at the prevailing circumstances & requests received from students & parents appearing for #JEE & #NEET examinations, a committee consisting of @DG_NTA & other experts has been advised to review the situation & submit its recommendations to @HRDMinistry latest by tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/xByKLUqAIc
— Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank (@DrRPNishank) July 2, 2020
Earlier in an interview with Zee News, Pokhriyal clarified that the authorities will review the COVID-19 situation in the country in the first week of July and then only will come up with any decision regarding JEE Main and NEET UG.
Aspirants and parents demand postponement
Many requests have been made on social media by the NEET and JEE aspirants for cancellation of the entrance exams. Hashtags such as #HealthOverNEETJEE #postponejeeneet #NoExamsInCovid are also making their rounds on Twitter. And considering that the COVID-19 outbreak is still at its peak, a
plea in the Supreme Court seeking test centres overseas or exam postponement was filed.
Not only this, but the Parents Association of India (PAI) also wrote a letter to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
“This doesn’t affect the lives of only students, it will have a direct impact on the health and safety of the whole nation considering the nature of the Coronavirus,” read the letter as reported by The Indian Express .
The association has further appealed to the Ministry to conduct the exams only when the COVID-19 peak in India reduces.
The 16 reasons cited in the letter include students acting as carriers of the virus, the practical impossibility of social distancing in exam centres, lockdown in many regions in the country, rising containment zones and students coming from these areas, transportation, students who have a positive case in the vicinity of family, lack of online preparation sources, and concerns expressed by several states on conducting exams, among others reported The Indian Express .
Write to us at news@careers360.com
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Featured News
]- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%