JNU student accuses seniors of harassment, admin says probe initiated
Press Trust of India | June 2, 2022 | 05:36 PM IST | 2 mins read
Jawaharlal Nehru University anti-ragging cell issued a statement saying the matter is under investigation and stringent action will be taken against those found guilty.
NEW DELHI: A first-year undergraduate student has written to the Jawaharlal Nehru University administration, accusing two senior students of harassment and inflicting "exceptional psychological duress". The JNU administration on Thursday confirmed that it has received a complaint of alleged ragging and said an investigation has been initiated.
In a letter to JNU's chief proctor Rajnish Kumar Mishra on May 27, the student urged authorities to take necessary action against the students. The student alleged that one of the students is her former roommate who used to force her to do "chores like washing her clothes, utensils, etc". "This is to bring to your notice that two senior students have been harassing me since I came to campus in February," she wrote in the letter. "For the last three months I have been under exceptional psychological duress. Because of this, I have been depressed for the last three months and my life on campus has become increasingly intolerable due to the acts of these people," she added.
She also accused the duo of using derogatory words and defaming her. "I come from a Christian household, and when this started spreading in the campus, I became horrified and hid in a recluse," she added. She demanded justice and said she is willing to follow this case till the end. "I hope you understand the severity of the situation and what kind of problems I am facing. I urgently request you take necessary action against the student for her harmful behaviour. I will be highly obliged for your cooperation," she said.
Also read | NAS 2021: Class 3 to Class 8, SC, SC, OBC students steadily fall behind peers
The anti-ragging cell of JNU had also issued a statement on Wednesday, saying the matter is under investigation and stringent action will be taken against those found guilty. "A complaint of alleged ragging by one of the students has been received at the chief proctor office on 30th May 2022 and the same has been communicated to this office on 31st May 2022. The matter is under investigation and stringent action will be taken against those found guilty," the notification read.
Also read | India’s new IAU astronomy centre will assess quality of astronomy education in schools
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Before NEET, CMC Vellore’s unique MBBS admissions tested aptitude along with merit; paper-leak restarts debate
- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- Jadavpur University pro-VC: Faculty, new curriculum keep its BTech ‘globally relevant’ despite fund crunch
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far