Meghalaya Govt postpones MTET 2026 exam scheduled on May 29 after teachers’ appeal
Press Trust of India | May 18, 2026 | 10:26 PM IST | 1 min read
Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma says MTET postponed as teachers face pressure from Census, SIR duties and classroom responsibilities
Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma on Monday announced the postponement of the Meghalaya Teacher Eligibility Test (MTET) scheduled for May 29 following appeals from teachers engaged in Census and SIR duties. Speaking at a public programme at Damas in North Garo Hills district, Sangma said teachers had recently informed him about the difficulties they were facing in preparing for the examination while simultaneously handling classroom responsibilities and assignments related to the Census and Special Intensive Revision (SIR) exercise.
"The teachers are worried and in a dilemma, given their multiple concurrent assignments," the chief minister said. "Considering their concerns, I would like to inform that the MTET examination has been postponed. Teachers need not worry. We will evaluate the overall situation and reschedule a proper, suitable date to ensure they have adequate preparation time," he said. Sangma also spoke about the broader challenges facing Meghalaya's education sector and lauded teachers for their dedication despite systemic constraints and gaps in professional training.
Also read ICAI to add AI, data analytics to CA curriculum
He said the government had made substantial investments in improving school infrastructure and expanding the number of educational institutions across the state over the years, but acknowledged that the quality of education still needed improvement. "In terms of quantity, we have enough schools, but we are lagging in quality," Sangma said.
"Raising the standard will take time, but we are fully committed to ensuring it happens. However, this transformation cannot rely solely on the government or the teachers. It requires an integrated ecosystem where parents and all stakeholders actively collaborate to uplift our students," he added.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC
- Number of student suicides rises 80% in 10 years, 8.5% of total: NCRB report
- ANRF PAIR Programme gives Rs 100 crore to just 7 hub-spoke networks, rest get Rs 2 crore grants