Online portal for admission to UG courses launched in West Bengal
Press Trust of India | June 2, 2022 | 08:27 PM IST | 1 min read
Candidates can now apply for admission based on the marks secured in higher secondary or other plus-two-level board exams, said Bratya Basu.
KOLKATA: The West Bengal government on Thursday launched an online portal for streamlining admission to undergraduate courses. Talking to reporters, education minister Bratya Basu, following a meeting with vice-chancellors (VCs) of state universities, said a candidate can now apply for admission based on the marks secured in higher secondary or other plus-two-level board exams.
A student can also state his choice of college in the application, and the request will be considered, the minister explained. Asked if the varsities would be conducting online exams this time, given that a section of students had long been agitating for the same, Basu said, "We will leave the decision to the respective institutions. They have autonomy. We will not interfere. "However, we are in favour of transparency in the exam system.”
Talking about the demise of singer KK after a live performance at a college fest, Basu, terming the incident “sad and unfortunate”, said colleges and universities, henceforth, will have to inform the higher education department about all plans and arrangements before organizing any fest or musical soiree. "The department will have a word with college authorities on this issue very soon," he stated.
Also read | #NTAdeferNEETUG: NEET UG 2022 aspirants demand exam postponement on Twitter
Basu added that the state government was in favour of holding elections for student unions of colleges, something that had been hanging fire for over three years partly due to COVID-19. One of the VCs, who had attended the meeting, later said that he and his counterparts in other universities "conveyed to the minister our readiness to implement the new system for admission to UG courses". "We will ratify the decision at our executive body meeting by this week," he said.
Also read | NAS 2021: Class 3 to Class 8, SC, SC, OBC students steadily fall behind peers
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- ‘Chowkidar-cum-Gatekeeper’: Why Visva-Bharati’s biotech head won’t enforce order for monthly workload reports
- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report
- MUHS plans virtual classrooms, remote lectures to tackle faculty crunch at new Maharashtra medical colleges
- NEET Counselling 2026: MBBS fees cross Rs 1 crore at 46 medical colleges, soar at new deemed universities
- PM Research Chair: 3,600 apply for fellowship; over 400 for ‘host institution’ status, says govt
- ‘Tughlaki’ Orders: Visva-Bharati teachers oppose biometric attendance, monthly workload report
- Assam’s State Higher Education Council: Facilitator or another bureaucratic layer, ask academics