SSC GD exam cancelled at Kanpur centre due to overcrowding
Press Trust of India | May 26, 2026 | 01:29 PM IST | 1 min read
SSC officials called off both shifts of the constable exam in Kanpur after overcrowding triggered protests and confusion outside the centre
Kanpur: Chaos erupted at an SSC-GD constable exam centre here on Monday when nearly double the number of candidates were allotted seats, forcing authorities to cancel both shifts. The disruption occurred at Shrimati Ramkali Iqbal Bahadur online centre in Purvameer, Maharajpur, where the centre, with a seating capacity of 399 candidates per shift, issued admit cards to 819 candidates for each shift, leading to massive crowding and confusion.
The exam was being conducted by the Staff Selection Commission. According to police, the exam was scheduled between 2 pm and 3 pm, and 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm. Trouble began when more than the centre could seat turned up for the exam.
Officials said nearly 350 candidates had already been seated when authorities realised that the number of candidates far exceeded the centre's capacity. As confusion and protests intensified, the management informed SSC officials, following which both shifts of the exam were cancelled. The sudden cancellation sparked anger among candidates, many of whom had come from distant districts.
Also read SSC GD 2026 exam date revised for constable, rifleman recruitment; exam now on May 27
Some aspirants tried to block the Kanpur-Prayagraj National Highway in protest, but police intervened and persuaded them to disperse. The situation worsened when candidates scheduled for the second shift also started arriving at the venue, swelling in number outside the centre. Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Satyajeet Gupta said rumours of violence and vandalism at the centre were false and misleading.
"Police and administrative officials reached the spot immediately and pacified the agitating candidates through dialogue. The situation remained peaceful and fully under control," he said. Candidates were informed that fresh exam dates would be announced later through email and the official SSC website, Gupta said. Candidates' concerns over travel expenses have been communicated to the authorities, the police said.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report
- MUHS plans virtual classrooms, remote lectures to tackle faculty crunch at new Maharashtra medical colleges
- NEET Counselling 2026: MBBS fees cross Rs 1 crore at 46 medical colleges, soar at new deemed universities
- PM Research Chair: 3,600 apply for fellowship; over 400 for ‘host institution’ status, says govt
- ‘Tughlaki’ Orders: Visva-Bharati teachers oppose biometric attendance, monthly workload report
- Assam’s State Higher Education Council: Facilitator or another bureaucratic layer, ask academics
- Under 25% of candidates selected via NTA NET join NFSC; panel pulls up govt for coaching scheme’s poor show
- PMKVY 4.0: Key skill development scheme misses 90% of target, gets 24% of budget for 2025-26, shows MDSE data