Delhi govt issues guidelines for safety and security of school students after UPSC coaching centre tragedy
Press Trust of India | July 31, 2024 | 10:30 PM IST | 1 min read
The school authorities have to ensure all necessary steps at their level to avoid water logging in and around the school premises.
NEW DELHI: The Delhi government on Wednesday issued guidelines for safety and security of school students in the aftermath of the Rajinder Nagar coaching centre flooding incident, which claimed the lives of three UPSC aspirants.
According to the guidelines issued by the Directorate of Education (DoE), the schools -- both private and government run -- have to follow the provisions of Master Plan for Delhi, 2021 regarding use of basement in public buildings.
The school authorities have to ensure all necessary steps at their level to avoid water logging in and around the school premises.
"Delhi has recently experienced an unfortunate incident in which three Civil Services aspirants drowned in the basement of a coaching institute and one aspirant has lost his life due to electrocution. It is imperative that all the schools in GNCT of Delhi shall ensure safety and security of students and shall have proper requisite infrastructure in place to avoid any untoward incident," read the circular.
The guidelines mandated that the principals should ensure the basements, if any in school buildings, shall be used only for permissible activities as per provisions of the Master Plan and as per the sanctioned plan.
"All gates of the school buildings shall be functional and opened for entry and exit. The access to the basement shall be properly marked and clearly indicated in the school evacuation plan. All the corridors shall be free from obstructions at all times and smooth passage be ensured," said the circular.
School corridors and staircases shall be regularly checked for water accumulation and requisite necessary action to be taken, it said.
"Electrical wirings and fittings, including appliances shall be checked and all safety norms be followed to avoid any kind of untoward related incident. The school shall have all requisite fire safety measures in place," it added.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC
- Number of student suicides rises 80% in 10 years, 8.5% of total: NCRB report
- ANRF PAIR Programme gives Rs 100 crore to just 7 hub-spoke networks, rest get Rs 2 crore grants