Press Trust of India | February 17, 2026 | 02:47 PM IST | 2 mins read
Order prohibits assemblies of five or more people and slogan shouting after recent clashes and law-and-order concerns
Download list of Colleges/ Universities Accpeting CUET/CUCET Score with Cut-OFFs
Download Now
New Delhi: Delhi University (DU) on Tuesday banned public meetings, processions, demonstrations and protests of any kind on campus for a month, citing concerns over obstruction of traffic, threats to safety and disturbance of public peace. In an order dated February 17, DU's office of the proctor said the restriction follows inputs that "unrestricted public gatherings" could escalate and affect law and order.
Latest: Check DU PG Seat Allotment 2025 | Vacant Seats for Spot Round 4
DU PG Spot Round 2025: First Cutoff | Second Cutoff | Third Cutoff
DU PG 2025: Third Cutoff | Second Cutoff | First Cutoff
Don't Miss: NIRF DU Colleges Ranking
It also referred to a prior direction by the assistant commissioner of police, Civil Lines, prohibiting public meetings, carrying torches or similar materials, slogan-shouting and speeches that may affect public tranquillity or traffic flow. Manoj Kumar, proctor, DU in a statement said that in the past, organisers often failed to control such protests, which escalated and spread widely, resulting in deterioration of law and order within the university campus.
"Assembly of five or more persons, shouting slogans and making speeches, carrying of any hazardous materials, including mashals, beacons/torches etc are prohibited," the order read. "The ban takes immediate effect and will remain in force for one month unless withdrawn earlier," the order further stated. Mithuraj Dhusiya, associate professor of English at Hansraj College and member of the executive council, DU, called the move a "blanket clampdown". While acknowledging that protests must remain peaceful and that the university must ensure order, Dhusiya said that invoking "obstruction of traffic" to bar gatherings is unacceptable.
"Whether the administration is trying to curb mobilisations over issues such as appointments, implementation of the NEP, the UGC Equity Bill and the recent suspensions of teachers?" Dhusiya said in a statement and demanded that the order be rolled back. He added that the proctor's office cannot unilaterally impose a blanket ban on public meetings.
The order comes after the recent controversies, where two FIRs were registered by Delhi Police last week after a scuffle broke out between two student groups during a protest. On 12 February, a bucket of water was thrown on historian Irfan Habib while he was speaking in a social justice programme.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.