Karnataka’s move to shut 13,800 govt schools ‘direct effect of anti-education NEP 2020’: AIDSO
Vagisha Kaushik | July 21, 2022 | 12:19 PM IST | 1 min read
The Karnataka government has decided to close down 13,800 government schools with less than 25 students and merge them with ‘model schools’.
NEW DELHI: All India Democratic Students Association (AIDSO) Karnataka has condemned the state government’s move to permanently shut 13,800 government schools with less than 25 students and merge them with ‘model schools’. AIDSO expressed shock that the Karnataka government has shown no hesitation in blatantly telling that these many schools will be closed down this academic year.
“AIDSO reiterates that all these are a direct effect of the anti-people, anti-education NEP-2020 implementation in Karnataka,” said Ajay Kamath, state secretary, AIDSO.
Also Read | Karnataka SSLC supplementary result 2022 declared; 10th supply result link activated at karresults.nic.in
As per the Unified District Information System for Education (UDISE) report, the dropout rates in Karnataka elementary schools stood at 1.4% and secondary schools at 16.6%.
The Students association has initiated a campaign against the merger of these schools, which has been signed by 3 lakh people already, and asked students and ‘education loving’ people to join the campaign against the government's decision.
Also Read | ISC 12th result 2022 by July 25: CISCE official
AIDSO said that state education minister B C Nagesh has accepted that lack of facilities in government schools is the cause for decreased admissions in Karnataka. It said that the government should have improved the facilities in government schools instead of closing them down.
“Current academic year has witnessed a horrifying situation in which 10 lakh students dropped out of schools in Karnataka. At times like these improving the facilities, appointing adequate numbers of teachers to government schools should have been the priority of the government. In creating 'model schools' and merger of schools, the government's intentions appear very clear!,” AIDSO statement added.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC
- Number of student suicides rises 80% in 10 years, 8.5% of total: NCRB report