Rajasthan govt scholarship for higher studies abroad will continue: Minister Avinash Gehlot
Press Trust of India | July 12, 2024 | 09:13 PM IST | 2 mins read
Gehlot said earlier this scheme aimed to benefit only 500 students every year, but the number has now been increased by the BJP government.
NEW DELHI: The Rajasthan government scholarship to meritorious students for higher studies abroad will not be stopped, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Avinash Gehlot said on Friday.
Responding to a supplementary asked by a member during the Question Hour, Gehlot told the assembly that earlier the scheme was called the 'Rajiv Gandhi Scholarship for Academic Excellence' which has now been rechristened as the Swami Vivekananda Scholarship for Academic Excellence.
The supplementary was asked after Gehlot, in a written reply to the original question by MLA Indra Meena, said there is no proposal under consideration now to discontinue the scholarship scheme run for students studying abroad.
Gehlot said earlier this scheme aimed to benefit only 500 students every year, but the number has now been increased by the BJP government. The change has been made with a view to improve the future of eight lakh students pursuing higher education in colleges in the state, he said.
The scheme has also been modified with the aim of giving benefits to meritorious students of the needy class instead of the children of influential people. The students will be selected on the basis of merit, he said.
The minister also said the previous government made no effort to obtain the outstanding scholarship amount for Scheduled Tribe students from the Central government.
Due to the efforts of the present government, proposals worth Rs 658.81 crore, including Rs 401.39 crore and earlier outstanding Rs 257.42 crore, were sent to the Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
Out of this, Rs 220 crore has been received and transferred by the state government to the accounts of eligible students, he said, adding the remaining amount will also be obtained from the Central government soon. Meanwhile, Food and Civil Supplies Minister Sumit Godara told the assembly that about 4.35 crore people in Rajasthan are getting the benefit of the National Food Security Act.
He was answering supplementaries asked by members during the Question Hour on Friday. He said the process to add about two lakh more beneficiaries is underway. Currently, 13.90 lakh applications are pending out of which about seven lakh will be added soon due to the limitation on numbers, he said.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Galgotias University: 2,297 patents filed, just 1% granted; with 63%, IITs far ahead of private institutes
- Samajwadi Party calls Galgotias University’s robot dog display ‘mockery of UP’, says ‘cancel recognition’
- CBSE: APAAR ID must for LOC registration from 2026-27 session; two-level Class 10 exams from 2028
- Less bias, more risk? CBSE on-screen marking system leaves Class 12 students, teachers cautious but optimistic
- CBSE Plans: Compulsory computing, AI in Classes 9, 10 syllabus; more skill subjects; 25% EWS quota review
- CBSE 2026: Board tightens rules on cheating, makes it harder to pass; Class 10 gets new marksheets
- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act