PMKVY: Congress flags alleged fund misuse and data manipulation, seeks probe citing CAG report
Press Trust of India | January 12, 2026 | 07:49 PM IST | 2 mins read
Congress leader Kannan Gopinathan seeks a probe into the skill development scheme, alleging fake beneficiaries, inflated data and misuse of ₹10,000 crore based on CAG findings.
New Delhi: The Congress on Monday demanded a thorough investigation into the distribution of funds through the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY), alleging corruption in enrolment and placement under the scheme.
Citing a CAG report, Congress leader Kannan Gopinathan alleged that there is "rampant corruption" in the PMKVY. "There should be a thorough investigation into this matter. Therefore, we want the government to set up an inquiry and bring out the truth," he told reporters.
"This is not just a betrayal of taxpayers in the country, but also of the youth," he said. The Congress leader claimed that the recent CAG report on the performance from 2015 to 2022 has exposed a scam in PMKVY.
Gopinathan said the National Skill Development Mission was repackaged and renamed PMKVY by the Modi government, which distributed Rs 10,000 crore for this scheme in seven years. He claimed that the CAG report has pointed out that 94.53 per cent of beneficiaries' bank accounts turned out to be fake, 96 per cent had fake mobile numbers and 97 per cent had fraud assessor details.
He also said the information about 61 lakh trainers under the scheme was incomplete. Gopinathan claimed that the report has pointed out that the email and mobile numbers of those who completed training are the same for one crore people. He said when an audit was conducted in a company in Kerala, it was found that placements of people have not even happened.
The Congress leader claimed that the CAG audit examined PMKVY 2.0 and PMKVY 3.0, including Short-Term Training, Recognition of Prior Learning, and Special Projects, and revealed widespread data manipulation, financial mismanagement, weak oversight, and violations of basic eligibility norms.
An analysis of 60,68,523 candidates in roles requiring education beyond class 9 showed that education data of 6,77,807 candidates (11.17 per cent) was missing, he alleged.
The analysis also showed that 8,09,046 candidates (13.33 per cent) did not meet minimum educational requirements, Gopinathan claimed. Out of 1,23,533 candidates certified for roles requiring prior technical education, 1,05,493 (85.40 per cent) had only basic literacy or general education, he further alleged.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- Jadavpur University pro-VC: Faculty, new curriculum keep its BTech ‘globally relevant’ despite fund crunch
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director