‘False, baseless’: JMI rebuts claims of adopting CUET for all courses following students’ demand
Recently, students held a protest demanding admissions in all courses through CUET in Jamia Millia Islamia. JMI decided only for 20 courses.

Vagisha Kaushik | March 17, 2023 | 03:17 PM IST
NEW DELHI : Jamia Millia Islamia has refuted the claims of accepting the demands of student organizations for admission to all courses through the Common University Entrance Test for Undergraduate (CUET) UG. The university termed the claims as “false and baseless”. Recently, a group of students staged a protest outside JMI demanding admission in all courses through CUET.
“A section of media has published a news story based on the press release issued by a student outfit of a political party that on the issue of CUET the university administration bowed down to demands raised by them. I am told by the Chief Proctor that this is false and baseless,” said Ahmad Azeem, Public Relations Officer, JMI in an official statement.
Also Read | CUET, JEE, NEET merger will be announced at least two years in advance: Jagadesh Kumar
JMI informed that it only received a memorandum and no word was given to the protesting students by anyone. “This is quite surprising that the media house(s) has not even taken the version of the university and published the story based on their claims only,” it added.
“As far as CUET is concerned this is the official stand of the university- "Admission to twenty courses will be done through the Common University Entrance Test (CUET)(15 UG and 05 PG). Students are required to fill both CUET and JMI forms for these courses,” JMI further stated.
Also Read | CUET 2023 will be glitch-free: UGC Chairman Jagadesh Kumar shares Plan B
The protest was organised by Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). The protesting students held saffron flags and placards saying 'End the admission scam' and 'Bring CUET', and raised slogans demanding CUET for all courses.
Earlier this month, JMI decided not to implement CUET for admission to all undergraduate and postgraduate programmes except for 20 courses, citing a lack of time to change the university rules. Admission to 20 courses including BSc (Hons) Physics, BSc (Hons) Chemistry this year will be done through CUET, 10 more than the last academic year.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- ICSI study material enough to clear CSEET; absolutely against private coaching: President
- Navigating Uncertainty: How Ivy League aspirants can tackle US visa challenges
- Education in Manipur: Futures at risk as ethnic violence derails academic dreams of over 50,000 students
- SC enrollment 5.2%, ST’s negligible 1%: Panel flags forward caste dominance in top private universities
- ITEP set for exponential growth as 1,400 institutes seek to launch new four-year teacher training course
- Holding CBSE Class 10 twice can lead to ‘paper leaks, irregularities’, warns parliament panel
- Reservation in private universities, NTA annual reports, CUET review among Parliament panel’s recommendations
- Biodiversity Courses: Central University of Odisha caught in the middle of research vs jobs debate
- ‘Not justified’ to withhold SSA funds over PM SHRI schools: Parliament panel
- PhD admission gaps: Why marginalised candidates struggle to fill reserved seats across central universities