Arunachal: FTII students halt classes; cite incomplete campus and non-functional facilities
Press Trust of India | December 9, 2025 | 03:30 PM IST | 1 min read
Students say they lost an entire semester due to non-operational studios, faulty classrooms, limited equipment and lack of basic amenities. They accuse the ministry of ignoring repeated complaints.
NEW DELHI: Students of screen acting and documentary cinema at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) here have refused to begin their second semester, alleging that the institute continues to function from an "unfinished, non-functional campus" without essential academic infrastructure.
In a statement on Tuesday, the students said they had already lost an entire semester due to what they described as a "collapsed academic environment" marked by non-operational studios , faulty classrooms, limited camera equipment, no sound studio, weak medical support and a lack of access to basic amenities.
"The institute that was promised as a state-of-the-art national campus is still under construction," they alleged. The students claimed they have repeatedly alerted the Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute (SRFTI) Kolkata, and the Union Information & Broadcasting ministry through several letters since December last year, but no corrective measures have followed.
Also read NIFT 2026 registration begins, exam on February 8; NTA reduces fees, adds more test cities
Students halt classes again
They added that the institute had already undergone two academic halts in March and May this year owing to the same unresolved issues. "After classes resumed in August, all infrastructure work stopped completely with the ministry failing to intervene," the statement alleged.
The students added that recent RTI responses and official correspondence between SRFTI and the ministry show the campus remains incomplete and is unfit to admit new students in 2025, forcing a pause in admissions. "If the institute is officially unfit for future students today, why were we admitted last year when the situation was worse?" the students asked, accusing the ministry of treating them as "experimental subjects in a prematurely launched institution".
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- ‘No one feels secure’: Jadavpur University ABVP ‘raid’ leaves students scarred, questioning security collapse
- ‘Ready for arrest’: CJP’s Ashutosh Ranka on ‘School Thik Karo’ drive, says judiciary, ECI accountability next
- Delhi Private Universities Bill: New regulator, zero standards, minister as visitor; why teachers are wary
- ‘Chowkidar-cum-Gatekeeper’: Why Visva-Bharati’s biotech head won’t enforce order for monthly workload reports
- IIT Placements 2026: Many in BTech Computer Science aim for trading firms, not Google; internships show why
- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report
- MUHS plans virtual classrooms, remote lectures to tackle faculty crunch at new Maharashtra medical colleges