Allahabad High Court stays UP school merger in interim order, next hearing on August 21: Reports
Vagisha Kaushik | July 24, 2025 | 06:24 PM IST | 1 min read
UP School Merger: Lucknow bench of Allahabad HC orders government to maintain status quo in Sitapur district.
In a temporary relief to the school students in Uttar Pradesh, Allahabad High Court has put a stay on the UP school merger, as per local media reports. The Lucknow bench of the HC listed the matter for further hearing on August 21 and ordered the government to maintain the status quo till then.
A division bench of Justices Arun Bhansali and Jaspreet Singh reportedly passed an interim order in a petition filed by 51 students of Sitapur district against closure of schools . The court has also taken note of serious deficiencies in the data. Even those schools in the district with more than 50 students were included in the merger list.
Earlier, the Additional Advocate General, representing the state government, firmly presented the Yogi Adityanath government's stance and stated that the merger of schools has been carried out entirely in accordance with the rules, as per the local reports. The UP government informed the court that the school buildings which have been merged and are now vacant will be used as Bal Vatika (pre-primary schools) and Anganwadi centers. The step has been taken to provide better education and facilities to the students.
UP school merger
Earlier, the HC had asked the Uttar Pradesh government whether it had conducted any survey before taking the decision for merger of primary schools and said that if a survey had been conducted, its report should be presented. The court also said that the government should present its stand on the plea against merger with full preparation and facts.
Several students, teachers, associations, and political leaders have been protesting the government’s recent decision on the UP school merger . The BJP government has sent school closure orders to district education officers of 75 districts in the state.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]CBSE issues fresh guidelines on class strength; allows up to 45 students per section in special cases
The exemption applies to cases like parental transfers, essential repeat students, those with serious medical issues, hostel transfers and students seeking admission to improve performance.
Vikas Kumar Pandit | 1 min readFeatured News
]- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently