Attendance under 30%, Delhi Govt wants coordinators for online classes
Atul Krishna | May 2, 2020 | 04:56 PM IST | 2 mins read
NEW DELHI: Delhi Government has ordered its schools to nominate one teacher each to coordinate online classes due to low attendance among Class 12 students.
According to a message sent by the district offices of the Directorate of Education, attendance of Class 12 students in online classes is “hovering around 25 percent to 30 percent" and “such a great effort in these difficult times is going underutilised”.
As per the directorate’s estimates, more than 1.3 Lakh students who are to graduate Class 11 and join Class 12 have signed up for online classes and video lectures once they started on April 7.
The Delhi Government announced measures for continuing education amid the nationwide lockdown due to the alarming rise of coronavirus infections on March 30.
‘Monitor attendance’
The government had decided on holding four online classes in a day, spread over the hours between 8:30 am and 4 pm.
However, as earlier reported by Careers360, government schools have had a hard time implementing these measures. Many of their students come from severely disadvantaged backgrounds and lack the resources – devices, internet connections and others – necessary for online learning. Educators in Delhi Government schools had labelled the decision to start online classes as "stupid and impractical".
The government has now instructed the heads of school to appoint a postgraduate teacher in each school as coordinator for online classes, says the direction shared with Careers360 by a source in government school.
The nominated teachers will “monitor attendance” and “facilitate the students of their school to utilise the online classes efficiently”, the message said. The instruction does not mention any additional support to the teachers and schools. The district offices have to submit names of the coordinators to the DoE’s exam branch by May 4, 2020.
The missive does not mention other classes. Delhi’s education minister, Manish Sisodia, had suggested docking 30 percent off the Class 10 and Class 12 syllabi for the next year in a meeting with the minister of human resource development, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on April 28.
Also read:
Online classes impractical, say Delhi Govt teachers
COVID-19 Lockdown: Delhi Govt to team up with online learning platform
Write to us at news@careers360.com .
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- Jadavpur University pro-VC: Faculty, new curriculum keep its BTech ‘globally relevant’ despite fund crunch
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director