Mizo Zirlai Pawl urges Mizoram government to reconsider decision to drop class 10, 12 merit lists
Press Trust of India | January 28, 2026 | 09:42 PM IST | 1 min read
Student organisation says ending merit lists may hurt healthy competition among students and schools
Aizawl: Mizoram's apex student organisation, Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP), on Wednesday urged the state government to review its decision of not declaring top-10 merit list or ranks of students in the result books of classes 10 and 12, a student leader said.
The appeal came a day after the state government announced that it would stop the decades-old practice of publishing the merit list (top-10), distinction and division of students in the result books at the time of publication of results. MZP general secretary C. Lalhmingsanga said the meeting of the organisation's executive committee widely deliberated the government decision and urged that it withdraw the move.
The meeting urged the government to continue with publishing the merit list of students to facilitate healthy competition among students and between schools. Earlier on Tuesday, School Education Minister Vanlalthlana said the Mizoram Board of School Education (MBSE) will, from this year onwards, follow the policy of declaring results of classes 10 and 12 without awarding distinction, division to students and indicating top-10 merit list of ranks of students in the result books to ensure there is quality education and the pupils don't compete only for rank or higher percentage marks.
MBSE chairman JH Zoremthanga, who accompanied the minister at the press conference, had also said the move was taken with an objective to do away with the traditional practice of rote learning and to ensure quality education through competency-based learning.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Quick Watch
]Next Story
]Featured News
]- ‘Chowkidar-cum-Gatekeeper’: Why Visva-Bharati’s biotech head won’t enforce order for monthly workload reports
- IIT Placements 2026: Many in BTech Computer Science aim for trading firms, not Google; internships show why
- Locked Toilets to Teacher Shortage: CJP’s school audit campaign reveals chronic neglect of govt schools
- NITs to offer dual-track M.Tech programmes, industry-led PhD; aim for NBA accreditation for all courses
- Maharashtra NEET Counselling: Medical colleges try deemed, pvt university, company tags to avoid state control
- IIM Rohtak raised MBA fees without preparing budget; income grew 299%, too high for non-profit: CAG report
- MUHS plans virtual classrooms, remote lectures to tackle faculty crunch at new Maharashtra medical colleges
- NEET Counselling 2026: MBBS fees cross Rs 1 crore at 46 medical colleges, soar at new deemed universities
- PM Research Chair: 3,600 apply for fellowship; over 400 for ‘host institution’ status, says govt
- ‘Tughlaki’ Orders: Visva-Bharati teachers oppose biometric attendance, monthly workload report