Number of beneficiaries increased for Jharkhand government's overseas scholarship
Press Trust of India | June 4, 2022 | 08:13 PM IST | 1 min read
Now 25 students from SC, ST, minorities, and OBCs will be eligible to pursue higher education in the UK under Overseas Scholarship
RANCHI: The Jharkhand government has increased the number of beneficiaries of the Marang Gomke Jaipal Singh Munda Overseas Scholarship Scheme to 25, officials said on Saturday. Earlier, the scholarship enabled 10 pupils to pursue higher studies in top universities in the United Kingdom. Now, up to 25 students from Scheduled Tribes, Scheduled Castes, minorities, and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) will be eligible to pursue higher education in the United Kingdom, a press release said.
The scheme was launched by the Hemant Soren government last year to provide an opportunity for talented students from the state to pursue postgraduate studies at leading universities in the United Kingdom. The expanded version now allows for the provision of fully-funded scholarships to up to 25 students every year, to pursue a one-year Master’s or two-year M Phil programme across 31 disciplines, the release said.
Also Read | Lucknow University invites applications for research merit scholarship for girl students
The state government has also increased the allocated budget of the scholarship to Rs 16 crore per year which could be increased, if necessary, it said. Last year, seven students were selected for the scholarship. They are currently pursuing their higher studies at Loughborough University, University of Warwick, and the University of Sussex. Earlier, the scholarship was given to students for higher studies in 22 disciplines. Nine additional disciplines have been added to the expanded version, the release said.
Meanwhile, the UK Government’s FCDO (Foreign and Commonwealth and Development Office) will be partnering with the state government to launch a jointly funded Chevening-Marang Gomke Jaipal Singh Munda Scholarship for up to five students of Jharkhand belonging to ST, SC, OBC, and Minorities, according to the official statement. The partnership will help students to pursue a one-year year Master’s programme in the United Kingdom in the next three academic years, it said.
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection
- 2 years into paramedical courses, students find themselves in vocational training; 300 protest in North Bengal
- Vidya Pravesh: 4.2 crore students across 8.9 lakh schools covered, but numbers now falling consistently