JNU to reconsider proctorial inquiries against students
Press Trust of India | December 21, 2023 | 03:25 PM IST | 2 mins read
JNU administration to reconsider proctorial inquiries against four student protests over water shortage.
NEW DELHI : The JNU administration will reconsider all proctorial inquiries initiated against the four students' union representatives and 12 hostel presidents for holding a protest against water shortage, Vice-Chancellor Santishree Pandit said on Thursday. The representatives of the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students' Union (JNUSU) and the hostel presidents received an inquiry notice last month for the protest outside the Vice-Chancellor’s residence on September 19. The students' body, however, said it was not happy with the "little" consolation.
In a meeting with the JNUSU representatives and the hostel presidents on Monday, the Vice-Chancellor assured to reconsider an appeal by the JNUSU to withdraw proctorial inquiries at the appeal stage initiated against the students over the water shortage protest. However, no clarity was given on the other ongoing inquiries by the Jawaharlal Nehru University administration.
In a memorandum to the VC submitted on December 15, the JNUSU demanded the withdrawal of all ongoing inquiries against students for staging protests, terming the action as "draconian" and "arbitrary". "We, the hostel presidents of JNU, convened with the Vice-Chancellor on December 18 in anticipation of addressing pressing issues affecting the hostel community. The Vice-Chancellor informed us that all proctorial notices will be reconsidered at an appeal stage," a statement by the hostel presidents said.
The JNUSU has called for a torch march on December 23 on the campus demanding the withdrawal of the Chief Proctor Office manual which penalises protests in selected areas of the campus, closing of all proctorial inquiries, and commencement of students' union elections. The students said that they were not satisfied with the "little" consolation and will continue their call for protests.
"The promise of an appeal is little consolation for those who find them unfairly targeted. As hostel presidents we will continue our effort to advocate for our rights and concerns," they said in the statement. The students also alleged that while the VC acknowledged the issue of the water crisis faced by students in several hostels and "vaguely" assured to take action, no clear detail or plan was given citing a "lack of funds".
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director
- ‘Part of culture’? IIT Ropar PhD scholars say fear keeps harassment cases buried, rarely reach ICC