NCPCR warns of increasing child trafficking post COVID-19 lockdown
R. Radhika | July 30, 2020 | 04:40 PM IST | 2 mins read
NEW DELHI: The latest report by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has raised concerns about increasing child trafficking during and after the coronavirus lockdown.
“With family members, bread-earners deceased or affected by disaster, land and livelihoods destroyed and food and shelter hard to come by, people are more inclined than ever to take desperate actions,” the report said.
To prevent child trafficking, NCPCR has suggested measures to be implemented at “source, transit and destination hotspot”. The commission further recommends providing vulnerable families with social protection cover to reduce the risk of a child getting trafficked.
A staggered approach in raising awareness at the district level, panchayat level and block level has to be undertaken, the report suggests.
Another study by Kailash Satyarthi Foundation highlighted that nearly 21 percent of households may potentially send off their underage children to urban cities for work due to the financial crisis post lockdown.
Non-profit organisations and CSOs
Recognising the role of non-profit and civil society organisations, NCPCR has further suggested community level participation to combat child trafficking.
The report recommends youth groups to work in close coordination with district-level authority and assist in tracking children at risk. Such children should be further helped in availing schemes provisioned by the state and central government.
The report also suggests an arrangement of special awareness generation campaigns by the district administration to spread awareness at all levels.
The NCPCR has also encouraged the organisations working at the ground level to report lacunae concerning child rights.
On July 6, the ministry of home affairs had issued an advisory to all states and union territories to set up anti-human trafficking units immediately.
The July order also said that the central government has released funds to set up and make these AHTUs functional urgently. In addition, the order directed the authorities to widely disseminate child helpline numbers and emergency response numbers to minimise the threat of child trafficking.
Also read:
- 22 percent of school buildings old or dilapidated: NCPCR report
- Govt teachers bring education home to students in Rajasthan village
Write to us at news@careers360.com
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Featured News
]- Jamia Millia Islamia student’s project can help Delhi’s unauthorised colonies ride out a heat wave
- Jadavpur University pro-VC: Faculty, new curriculum keep its BTech ‘globally relevant’ despite fund crunch
- St. Stephen’s College former principal back as English prof; against rules, say teachers, DU officials
- CBSE makes third language compulsory for Class 9 from July, with Class 6 books and shared teachers
- IIT Ropar’s ANNAM.AI is ‘green intelligence in action’ and future of agriculture technology: Project director
- Delhi HC halts recruitment at DU’s St. Stephen’s College after ad hoc teachers allege irregularities
- IIT Kharagpur tackling mental health crisis with ‘mothers’, mentors and an app: First student wellbeing dean
- NEET was far from fair even before paper-leak controversies
- Same Exam, Old Nightmare: NEET 2026 cancelled, paper-leak probe, NTA reform, re-neet – the story so far
- IIT Jodhpur’s Hindi BTech is breaking the English-only mould, model for others to follow: Director