Panjab University withdraws 'no-protest affidavit' requirement; students call-off agitation
Press Trust of India | November 5, 2025 | 12:29 PM IST | 1 min read
PU withdraws undertaking requirement for first-year students which restricted them from organising or participating in protests.
CHANDIGARH : The Panjab University on Tuesday evening decided to withdraw the "no-protest affidavit" required from students after protests by them. Following the development, protesting students called off their seven-day-long agitation. Panjab University Campus Students' Council general secretary Abhishek Dagar too ended his seven-day hunger strike. "It is a victory of every student of PU." The protesters had claimed that the affidavit would restrict them from organizing or participating in a protest.
In a statement, the university said, "The students' agitation at Panjab University has been called off following the University's decision to withdraw the affidavit/undertaking requirement for students enrolled in first year courses or programs for the 2025-2026 session." PU authorities said that the matter has been resolved in the larger interest of students and to ensure that academic activities continue smoothly on the campus. The agitating students have also agreed to withdraw their legal case related to the issue, it said.
The university remains committed to maintaining a constructive academic environment on campus, and continues to encourage open dialogue while respecting diverse views and opinions, said the statement. Students went on an indefinite strike last week, pressing for the withdrawal of the "no-protest affidavit" requirement. The protesting students had claimed that the affidavit requires students to declare that they will not participate in protests or demonstrations on campus, while terming it "undemocratic".
Follow us for the latest education news on colleges and universities, admission, courses, exams, research, education policies, study abroad and more..
To get in touch, write to us at news@careers360.com.
Next Story
]Featured News
]- NEET PG Counselling: Maharashtra body orders medical college to admit student it refused over fees
- Anna University engineering colleges sack over 300 temp teachers; defiance of court orders, says association
- ChatGPT for education? IIT Madras director on how Bodhan AI will work and what it can do
- CBSE Board Exams 2026: NHRC says withholding admit cards over fee dispute ‘illegal’, violates RTE Act
- Delhi University: After clash over UGC Equity Regulations 2026, DU bans protests, gathering for a month
- Bihar plans to start BA, BSc degree colleges in schools; teachers flag space, staff crunch
- Maharashtra eases university teacher recruitment norms; academic weightage cut to 60% from 75%
- UP Budget 2026-27: Vocational education funds up 88%; 14 new medical colleges; school outlay highest
- 3 yrs after UGC guidelines, 80% central universities yet to appoint professors of practice, private ones lead
- NMC approves record 20,098 new MBBS, PG medical seats, 777 after initial rejection